2009 - 2014 F-150

Residue run marks on black door weather stripping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Residue run marks on black door weather stripping?

Just picked up my 2012 F150 King Ranch Crew the other day. After getting it home and doing some accessories to it I noticed what looks to be soap/white residue run marks on all four windows around the glass on the black rubber? Just thinking it was maybe soap not being rinsed off good enough from the dealership from prepping it I tried to remove it with a wet towel. No luck at all! Had to run it back to the dealership for a few things so they took photos and sent it to Ford. According to the dealership Ford is tell them they will not warranty it! Can you believe that? Has anyone had any luck calling Ford to complain about an issue not getting solved at the Dealership? I can't believe that I should be expected to live with that! Even when you open the doors the white residue run marks shows on the interior black weather stripping. Anyone ever have this or any experience with Ford on complaints?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Ralph Jr
Just picked up my 2012 F150 King Ranch Crew the other day. After getting it home and doing some accessories to it I noticed what looks to be soap/white residue run marks on all four windows around the glass on the black rubber? Just thinking it was maybe soap not being rinsed off good enough from the dealership from prepping it I tried to remove it with a wet towel. No luck at all! Had to run it back to the dealership for a few things so they took photos and sent it to Ford. According to the dealership Ford is tell them they will not warranty it! Can you believe that? Has anyone had any luck calling Ford to complain about an issue not getting solved at the Dealership? I can't believe that I should be expected to live with that! Even when you open the doors the white residue run marks shows on the interior black weather stripping. Anyone ever have this or any experience with Ford on complaints?
Thanks in advance.

I noticed this same thing on mine. Forgot about it till now. Tried a bit of full strength Clean Green but it didn't touch it. Was going to try a bit of laquer thinner on a clean rag. Always was a reliable cleaner on rubber parts back in the days when I was restoring some old cars. Would test on a very small spot and DO NOT slop it around on the clear coat. It is very strong and can ruin stuff if you are not careful. I will probably watch for how someone on here discovers how to get it off and go from there. May try it later today.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by novapwr
I noticed this same thing on mine. Forgot about it till now. Tried a bit of full strength Clean Green but it didn't touch it. Was going to try a bit of laquer thinner on a clean rag. Always was a reliable cleaner on rubber parts back in the days when I was restoring some old cars. Would test on a very small spot and DO NOT slop it around on the clear coat. It is very strong and can ruin stuff if you are not careful. I will probably watch for how someone on here discovers how to get it off and go from there. May try it later today.
Yep, laquer thinner worked for me. Just use very little and be careful.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I had it on some collection areas of the bumper and the corner of the rails. Just kept scrubbing everytime I washed the truck and eventually disappeared.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Had it here as well. I used Aerospace 303 and a microfiber. Get the towel nice and wet, but not dripping. Rub, rub, rub, rub. After doing this about three times after washing the truck it's all but gone and they've got a good coat of protection on them now.

As for what the white stuff is, my best guess is it's some sort of powder that's applied to the strips after manufacturing to keep them from sticking to each other while on assembly racks. It's BS they allow delivery like that, let alone leave the factory in that condition.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Sounds like the dealer did it during prep? Someone wiping down the windows with a dirty rag?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Need4racin
Sounds like the dealer did it during prep? Someone wiping down the windows with a dirty rag?
Nope, it's from the factory. I ordered my truck and demanded that when it arrived that they didn't clean the truck in any way. I'm **** like that and I saw the fine scratches in my 06 from improper washing before I took delivery of it. So I wasn't letting them touch my '11.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Had it too, used Megs #39, cleaned right up.

Quick Reply: Residue run marks on black door weather stripping?