2009 - 2014 F-150

UTV Products IC guard for EcoBoost installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTV Products IC guard for EcoBoost installed

Just received and installed today so I thought I would share a few pics and my experience installing it.

I purchased it through their eBay page. Its available in gloss black, brushed aluminum or flat black. I chose the flat black with the monotone FX4 appearance my truck already has.

Received the product well packaged in about 8 days, its costs $41 shipped, not a bad price.

The grill is very well manufactured and MADE IN THE USA, which is very important to me. Welds are done nicely and the paint was consistent and smooth with no runs, nice craftsmanship! It comes with 4 bolts and nuts w/ lock washers, you will need to drill to complete the installation.

Here is where it gets a little ugly. The mounting, IMO, sucks. There are already holes drilled in the valance for the 5.0 LP bracket on the top and bottom, but they do not use those. The mounting brackets are on the sides of the grill so you have to drill into the side of the LP bracket on the driver side and into the side of the "filler piece" on the pass. side.

I mocked up the grill and used a center punch to mark the holes. Drilling them is not an issue. However mounting the grill and then getting the bolts to come through the plastic and then through the brackets requires patience, time and finesse.

I have none of that.

After much swearing and bleeding I found the best way to go about this is to remove the lower air dam under the valance and access it that way. Still not the easiest, but the best route, short of removing the intercooler and tranny cooler.

You will need a deep well 9mm socket for the mounting bolts and a 15mm socket to remove/reinstall the air dam.

Over all I LOVE the fit and look of the grill. Im not super paranoid about the IC as I do very little highway driving, but like the looks over the empty hole and the added protection is a bonus. IMO I feel this in no way will impede air flow to the point where it will hurt the IC's ability to cool/function.

Ok, on to some pics.

Before:

What you get:

After:

Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Should work fine for you...I work off-and-on for a company that tests "stuff" for Ford and we were running Ecoboost trucks with the plastic louvered Harley lower valance on them and there were no issues in the Arizona desert.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Should work fine for you...I work off-and-on for a company that tests "stuff" for Ford and we were running Ecoboost trucks with the plastic louvered Harley lower valance on them and there were no issues in the Arizona desert.
That's what I want - too bad the Harley gear costs so damn much!!

o/p - grille looks great! I'll probably do this in the meantime...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Looks great, i`ll be looking into this today. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the compliments!

If you order one, be sure to include a note with the eBay auction of how you want it finished; brushed aluminum, gloss black or flat black.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice looking mod!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM
wow, I like it. It definitely finishes the blank opening left by Ford. Plus you get added protection. I'll be looking into it also. Could you provide a link to the actual seller of yours. I too want to buy American products when I can.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by hydro1
wow, I like it. It definitely finishes the blank opening left by Ford. Plus you get added protection. I'll be looking into it also. Could you provide a link to the actual seller of yours. I too want to buy American products when I can.
Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Very nice and I agree buy American when ever we can!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Thanks for the compliments!

If you order one, be sure to include a note with the eBay auction of how you want it finished; brushed aluminum, gloss black or flat black.
Just ordered it. I left a message in the box stating type of finish. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Just ordered it. I left a message in the box stating type of finish. Thanks again.
NP! Hope you like it. I read on another forum that a guy removed both the LP bracket and the other "blank." He then mounted the grill and reinstalled as a single piece.

That sounds as though it would be easier, but I would be sure to mark the drill holes prior to removing the pieces so the grill lines up with the curve of the bumper fascia.

Post some pics when youre done.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
NP! Hope you like it. I read on another forum that a guy removed both the LP bracket and the other "blank." He then mounted the grill and reinstalled as a single piece.

That sounds as though it would be easier, but I would be sure to mark the drill holes prior to removing the pieces so the grill lines up with the curve of the bumper fascia.

Post some pics when youre done.
I`ll take a look at it before doing anything. I will post pics. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I like the grill and they offer one that has mounting brackets and no drilling required.. Has anyone ordered this one?

Quick Reply: UTV Products IC guard for EcoBoost installed