F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Ecoboost complaints...... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/453862-ecoboost-complaints.html)

nathan08fx4 07-29-2011 01:39 PM

Ecoboost complaints......

Everyone has talked about all the great things about the EcoBoost, how much power it has, how it tows, runs, drives etc. So lets hear anyone who has any complaints about their EB.

hydro1 07-29-2011 02:50 PM

Yeah I have a huge complaint.... it's not here yet :lol:

KingRanch979 07-29-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by nathan08fx4 (Post 4643746)
Everyone has talked about all the great things about the EcoBoost, how much power it has, how it tows, runs, drives etc. So lets hear anyone who has any complaints about their EB.

I only have two complaints:

1.) The engine idles a little rough (compared to my previous 5.4L 2009)
2.) Soot on the exhaust pipe dirtys up my nice chrome tip

Other than that, the engine performs MILES better than the 5.4L. Always in the torque band and there's plenty of it!

risupercrewman 07-29-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanch979 (Post 4643830)

Other than that, the engine performs MILES better than the 5.4L. Always in the torque band and there's plenty of it!

If there is soot on your exhaust tip imagine how much is in the engine.....:coffee:

Stealth 07-29-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by risupercrewman (Post 4643929)
If there is soot on your exhaust tip imagine how much is in the engine.....:coffee:

:confused:

EdCaffreyMS 07-29-2011 06:57 PM

I took delivery of my EB/Scab/4x4 on 18 April, and it's has issues ever since. Stuttering at idle, very poor MPG (max I have achieved is 16 on the highway, driving at 64mph (I was on a flat smooth road in Canada). After about two months, the electronics started going "wacky" with the radio cutting in/out, and the display going out, then coming back on. Along with several other issues.

I just got it back this morning after 5 days at the dealership. They could not find any codes, but I came home with a "black box" wired into my truck. I'm suppose to manually activate it whenever something happens. The Service Manager talked to me for about an hour this morning, and during that conversation, I found out that since beginning production, Ford has come out with two completely updated versions of the software for both the PCM and TCM on EB equipped F150s. Mine was updated to the latest version, and so far so good. The idle stutter hasn't shown itself, and on the trip home I noticed the "Miles to E" on the dash was at 409, where as previously the best I ever saw was 357 right after a fill up.
I'm hoping that the software update solved a lot of the issues, but will drive it for a while with the "black box" and see if the other "wacky" things crop up again.

projetmech 07-29-2011 06:58 PM

i have about 3K miles on the truck. the "b" trip odometer that i never reset says 17 mpg. i can get up to 21 mpg when i watch how i drive. but it does have a kick you back in the seat acceleration.

jntibs 07-29-2011 08:46 PM

Soot on the exhaust pipe dirtys up my nice chrome tip

Yeah, that's a bit annoying....

j-rod76 07-29-2011 10:33 PM

It is too quiet, there are almost no mods for it and the turbo noise freaks ricers out.

TX Chris 07-30-2011 12:59 AM

My only complaint is the mild turbo lag at low rpm, but I'll take that any day of the week for an engine with this much grunt combined with the ability to achieve 20+ if driven very politely.

TX Chris 07-30-2011 01:02 AM

And Ive grown quite tired of the people that think they know everything about engines and feel the need to bash the EB in every thread where the topic surfaces.

triglet 07-30-2011 01:22 AM

hey EdCaffreyMS. keep us informed. hopefully that will take care of your problems!

Mark Miller 07-30-2011 02:09 AM

X2,On the rough especially in gear[compared to 2010 4.6 3V] and a little turbo lag but not to bad.

Later Mark

Dusten 07-30-2011 02:50 AM

Fuel mileage when driven hard

NASSTY 07-30-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dusten (Post 4644182)
Fuel mileage when driven hard

^^This also applies to every full size truck.

As for my Ecoboost.... I've had it for 3.5 months and no issues or complaints here. :rocker:

jpetre 07-30-2011 08:11 AM

0 issues here and I love it, wish it was a bit louder though when at a light I have to look at the tac to make sure it is running. Milage in the city is 17.1 and 21 on the highway and this is a 4x4 plat with 7500 miles on it.

jntibs 07-30-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nathan08fx4 (Post 4643746)

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am having trouble getting used to the steering feel, or lack there of, of the Electric Power Steering. It's nice at low speeds, but the lack of road feedback at hwy speeds is a little weird sometimes......

But this applies to the 3.7, 5.0, & 3.5 motors, so unless you get the 6.2, you're stuck with the steering feel.

ThaChad 07-30-2011 09:15 AM

My only complaints with the truck so far are engineering or design issues.

1. Remote start, even with the truck already locked you still have to press the lock button, then press remote start button twice to get the truck to start. Every other car with remote start, if the doors are already locked you only have to press the remote start button twice to start the vehical.

2. As mentioned by many others the awesome 4.2" LCD display on the gauge cluster has huge potential yet majior features were left out, TPMS should display each individual tire pressure, should have a turbo gauge, more gauge options, more settings, etc.

3. The lack of a grab handle on the drivers side, while having one on every other entry door is a total lack of design. Especially due to #4.

4. The factory chrome step's are 1/2 tucked under the truck, When I step on the step, only the tips of my toe's are on the step and I have no where to grab to get in the truck. I don't know why they would not have the step's stick out further.

Those are the 4 biggest things that have bugged me so far. That said though, the things I like about the truck FAR out way the couple of things that bug me.

I actually like the electronic stearing, the truck turns soo easy. I haven't got to use the 4x4 or locking rear end yet, so I can't comment on that. I don't know how great the stock Pirelli Scorpion tires are going to be in the snow or off-road!? As soon as I wear them out I plan to switch to BF Goodrich T/A KO's, hopefully 33's or 35's.

-ThaChad

wittom 07-30-2011 10:06 AM

My complaint is that Ford doesn't offer the EB in a regular cab short bed. Fortunately the 3.7 V6 gets a consistant 21-22 mpg for me.

06yz250f 07-30-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ThaChad (Post 4644233)
2. As mentioned by many others the awesome 4.2" LCD display on the gauge cluster has huge potential yet majior features were left out, TPMS should display each individual tire pressure, should have a turbo gauge, more gauge options, more settings, etc.

i probably won't be buying a tuner until someone comes out with a tuner that can add more gauges to it instead of having an external pod to show info.

Originally Posted by TX Chris (Post 4644146)
And Ive grown quite tired of the people that think they know everything about engines and feel the need to bash the EB in every thread where the topic surfaces.

same goes for the 5.0 and 6.2, in every EB owners mind the EB is far superior and it seems most can't comprehend why others didn't choose it so it's not just every one bashing the EB, every motor is getting the same exact crap from owners w/ other motors

Wookie 07-30-2011 10:38 AM

The only things I wish it had was:

1. More turbo sounds, I want to hear them spool up and down. I'm sure this could be changed but I don't it enough to risk warranty issues should something break.

2. Boost gauge.

Otherwise I'm a happy camper knowing I am driving the best 1/2 ton truck ever made.

nathan08fx4 07-30-2011 12:20 PM

OK, so lets revamp this thread a little bit. Any problems with EB power??? Has anyone had a load behind their truck that made the EB grunt a little or too much?????

TXCHRIS- Yes i agree with you about the know it alls. FYI, my 5.4L coats the outside of my chrome tip with the wonderful black soot. Anyone ever think about how crappy the fuel we buy is now???

EDCAFFREYMS- I do believe I would find another dealer if possible. I have read a few of your posts and it sounds like your dealer is clueless and needs to get their service rep involved. But hopefully this reprogram fixes all your issues.

TO THOSE WHO FEEL THEY NEED TO MODIFY EVERYTHING- I work at a Ford Dealership and when someone comes in with their vehicles modified in every way they can and something failed due to it, we do not feel bad for them. CAI's, exhaust, are one thing. But when you go changing turbos on the diesels, reprogramming the PCM and things like that, don't cry when your vehicle fails. And they are all the same anymore, Chevy,Ford Dodge, Toyota,Nissan, They all have problems, just not everyone talks about it or a problem to one person is not a problem to the next person. Also these are trucks, not nascar cars. If you want to get 0-60 fast, but a camaro, mustang, corvette, or something of that nature.

bcfx4 07-30-2011 12:33 PM

i probably won't be buying a tuner until someone comes out with a tuner that can add more gauges to it instead of having an external pod to show info.
Based on your knowledge of ford and what tuners have done in the past, is this a good possibility or is there chance (although unlikely) that the 2012 models will have additional display options for the indash screen?

SLW-SVT 07-30-2011 12:54 PM

my complaint is that I don't have an ecoboost, but I got 19.5avg on my last tank so I'm not exactly loosing sleep..

RSchnier 07-30-2011 06:16 PM

Have had mine since April, no complaints on the EB itself at all so far. I have gotten 25 mpg on a three-hour drive that I frequently take that has one hour each at 75, 70 and 65 mph (summertime conditions at about 75 F). Have pulled a 5000 lb boat at 60 mph, 45 mins each way to the lake at 60 mph with results than can only be described as excellent; got about 14 mpg under those conditions.

The rest of the truck is almost 100% excellent also, with my only complaint so far being the extreme unreliability of the SYNC system for the audio, even after applying the latest software updates.

06yz250f 07-30-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by bcfx4 (Post 4644331)
Based on your knowledge of ford and what tuners have done in the past, is this a good possibility or is there chance (although unlikely) that the 2012 models will have additional display options for the indash screen?

too be honest i have no clue, i don't see why it'd be a problem but who knows. only time will tell, but i'm sure hoping for it. i think for the ecoboost an EGT gauge that could be used on that display instead of adding a gauge on the pillar or air vent would be a huge plus.

hell, i wish their was a hack to play movies off that little lcd screen :lol:

Stealth 07-30-2011 08:12 PM

My only problem is I don't have one either. :lol:

07F150OAKLEY 08-05-2011 01:31 AM

I just love turbos....until they come out with a v8 turbo.....imma be spoolin' that 3.5!!!!

Dusten 08-05-2011 03:57 AM

For those that want gauges look into the dashdaq

earthcreeper 08-23-2011 10:43 PM

My EcoBoost has about 7200 miles on it. I have black smoke on start up. I imagine it is there all the time since the black soot build up on the tail pipe is extreme. How can this be normal? Emissions?? In addition the transmission is having issues. Imagine placing a car in neutral and revving the engine, dropping it into low gear. That loud bang you get is what my EB sounded like when I was driving 80 miles an hour and slightly gave it a little more gas to get around a larger truck. When I let off the gas I heard that loud bang on the tranny. Apparently it was searching for a gear but never found it until I let off the gas??? Again, told it is normal. Would not recommend this truck at this point. No codes I am told. Well, so much for common sense and mechanical aptitude.

06yz250f 08-23-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dusten (Post 4648657)
For those that want gauges look into the dashdaq

the reasoning for wanting it in the LCD is not wanting to have a huge pod/screen on the dash some where to monitor.

dashdaq is not cheap, only way i'd consider it is if i was tuning with spartan on a diesel, as far as i know it's not an option from any tuners for 1/2 tons. the edge would be a better option although the dash daq has a ton of gauges and other options which i don't think the new edges have available.

rcmike 08-24-2011 12:43 AM

How many miles are you getting to a tank on the eco 3.5l ? thanks {26 gal tank }

topofffun 08-25-2011 12:37 PM

One major complaint...... if you turn traction control off its just spins the tires LOL.

478 miles on a tank..... atleast!!! every tank mine averages 19 mpg sometimes 22+ on the highway

Dusten 08-25-2011 04:41 PM

I know the wife is doing about 450 per fill up, but its mixed driving

hydro1 08-25-2011 06:15 PM

^ how are you guys doing that? I'm at 165 miles and half tank. Computer showing 14.3mpg with 50/50 mix. Granted I'm in Los Angeles and stop every 1/8 mile for a light, but even on the freeway she hasn't been over 15mpg going 70mph.

glc 08-26-2011 01:34 AM

You using Costco or Arco gas, hydro? You have some really crappy gas in Cal. I get terrible mileage on the gas out there when I'm in San Diego - especially on Costco and Arco.

tbear853 08-26-2011 02:29 AM

400 plus on a tank ..... y'all are going to replace fuel pumps more often like that.

It cost the exact same to fill up at 1/2 tank and doing it will always leave a reserve and prolong fuel pump life causethe pump is cooled by fuel.

hydro1 08-26-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4665121)
You using Costco or Arco gas, hydro? You have some really crappy gas in Cal. I get terrible mileage on the gas out there when I'm in San Diego - especially on Costco and Arco.

Yeah, I forget about that. The gas isn't bad, we just have a different blend that the SCAQMD & EPA mandate for CA. It burns cleaner, but you burn more fuel in the process. The enviro wacko's are so screwed up they can't do the math :ll:

EdCaffreyMS 08-26-2011 11:43 AM

I thought I would come back to this thread and let everyone know where things are with my truck.

UPDATE: Right now I am waiting on the dealership to call me with an appointment to bring the truck in. To date I have not been able to get more than 16mpg on the highway...on flat level ground, at 65mph. Just about every other day I have something "wacky" happen with the electronics. Most days the idle stutters and jumps. Seems like new things keep cropping up...lately it's been shifting weird...1-2, 4-3, and 4-5 shifts are sometimes mushy/sloppy, and other times just plain violent. From a cold start I can shift it into R or D, and it sits there "building up" like it's low on tranny fluid...after about 10-15 seconds you can feel the gear engage, and the truck will start to move. Two days ago, it had been parked for about 5 hours, I got in and started it up...the radio was on AM band, with static coming out of the speakers, the clock had reset to 12:00, and none of my devices were in the SYNC system....all the symptoms as if a battery cable had been removed.

Anyway, that's some of the background....this truck has been a disappointment since I took delivery. The dealership General Sales Manager told me that if they could not get it "fixed", they would get me a new truck. When I called them on that statement, they changed gears, and now the plan is for them to take the truck, put it completely back to stock (that just means tires and taking off the topper), and drive it to see if they can replicate the problems. They did tell me that they would give me a rental, as they expect the truck to be in the shop for 2-4 weeks. Our state lemon law states that if a vehicle is in for work for a total of 30 business days or more during the warranty period, it is eligible.....I'm hoping that is their intent. If I can't get any satisfaction, then I'll go up the ladder until I do.
If they tell me they can't find/fix the issues, my next move is going to be "Since nothing is wrong, how much will you give me for as a trade in?"
I just don't have any confidence in this truck....I would like nothing better than to be the flag waving poster boy for the F150 Ecoboost, but right now I just might be it's worst critic.

topofffun 08-26-2011 12:09 PM

Edcafferyms

That sucks man. I cant believe the mileage alone.

I check mine by hand and the computer is right on.