2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tuxedo Black Polish

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuxedo Black Polish

Caveat layout: I KNOW there is an Exterior Care Section, but this gets far more traffic.
I KNOW I asked a similar thread a few months back, but the advice was not specific to THIS question.

I have 2010 Screw with Tuxedo Black ( L.O.V.E.)

Since it is only 5 months old, has perfect paint (as is factory possible) with no visibly swirls...

1. Polish/wax you fellow TB owners use?
2. I know there is an abundance out there and methods to use. But I do not have the time/desire to wash,rinse,repeat,clay bar, wax,polish.....
3. Simple wash then polish or wax process.

I know different methods or products may work best for different colors which is why I am more specific this time around. She looks great and I want to keep it that way with a nice shine.

Spring is here and it is time to break out the hose and clean it up nice.

Any product tips you use are appreciated!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm going through the same thing right now having just gotten my Tuxedo Black.

I know you don't want to go this route, but here is a strategy I am going to take with mine after doing a bunch of research and talking to some friends who are into personal car detailing.

(I have no association with this product fyi)

Here is what I just ordered from Zaino (and how I plan to use the items):

Every 6 months:
Wash with Dawn soap (only once)
Z-5 Pro Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive (added to z-5 so I can do 3 polishes in one day)
Z-7 Regular Wash
Z-6 Detail Spray
and a clay bar (but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to use it yet)

Then after the main big wash every 6 months, I plan on using just the Z-7 regular wash and z-6 detail spray for my regular washes.

A big side note is what cloths to use in drying the truck so you don't get swirl marks. What I've seen is to get a couple of 100% cotton WHITE towels. This is the important part...they MUST say "Made in the USA". The ones that say they are made elsewhere, even though they say 100% cotton, they sometimes add different bonding fibers or whatnot that may cause the swirl marks. I guess you can find them in places like Macy's or other nicer stores. I was not able to find one in Bed Bath and Beyond. I guess it's also recommended to cut off the edges of the towels too so it's just the same surface. A tip I read was to burn a corner of the towel, if the smoke is black, then it's not 100% cotton. If it's white smoke, you are good to go.

A lot of this is detailed on their site and other forums/google searches, but from what I read/researched, I'm gonna give it a try.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Why not use micro fiber towels?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I am using a Spray detailer from Eagle 1 and really like it, nice smooth clean finish.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Why not use micro fiber towels?
I do/have used microfiber and think it's fine, although have not even washed my truck yet since I just got it less than two weeks ago and the weather has been crappy around here.

The whole cotton towels thing was just something I picked up in my research specifically regarding Swirl issues in paint/clear-coat.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Get a good wash mitt and drying towel. Go here and at least follow the wash and dry procedures. http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

My truck is 6 years old and have lived outside since day 1. This only a wash and dry.

- NCSU

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
1. Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant removes light oxidation, scratches, and swirl marks while creating a high gloss, durable finish. This one step sealant gives you all the benefits of a polish and a wax. Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant protects for up to one year!

2. Turtle Wax® Black Detailer: Turtle Wax® Black Detailer contains black pigments to help hide surface imperfections, and synthetic carrier oils for super lubrication. These oil additives help prevent incidental swirl marks from microscopic dirt and dust particles. It can also be used on black rubber and plastic trim.
Product Benefits:
Black tinted detailer fills in minor scratches and swirl marks to produce an ultra smooth, slick finish
Blend of carnauba wax and polymers produces a deep, long lasting shine created specifically for black finishes
Works great on both clear coat and conventional finishes
Designed for regular use on well maintained BC/CC black, dark charcoal, metallic black and other "black like" automotive paint finish colors
Can be used in conjunction with Turtle Wax Black Box® Kit

3. Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax
4. Meguiar's Water Magnet® Microfiber Drying Towel
5. Meguiar's Supreme Shine® Microfiber Towel 3Pack

6. Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt

It will look much better if you Clay Bar, Polish and then apply Polymer Wax every 2-3 month's.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey NCSU... I have to say that your truck looks sick . I'm not a big fan of most of the 'mods' I have seen people do, but your truck is done VERY well.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM
If you've got good paint (meaning not an attrocious amount of orange peel as is normal for Ford these days) take good care of it and by all means use Zaino.

I highly doubt though that even with Zaino you will do the wax justice. I love my 2011 Flame Blue FX4 Screw EB, but the orange peel is horrid on it. The color though is the bomb, but we as consumers should tell Ford to step it up a bit. Look at newer Jag sometime if you want to see what smooth paint is

Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM
You DO NOT need to polish your truck if is has no swirl marks or scratches.

Just get 2 buckets with grit guards and do the two bucket method. Find you some decent soap, and soft wash mit/sponge, wheel/tire cleaner & brush, and some really really good microfiber towels.

If you want to polish scratches out eventually. You must,

1. wash
2. clay bar
3. polish with a d/a
4. rewash
5. wax

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ret50
Hey NCSU... I have to say that your truck looks sick . I'm not a big fan of most of the 'mods' I have seen people do, but your truck is done VERY well.
Thanks! It's been a never ending work in progress.

- NCSU

Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Super FX4

Just get 2 buckets with grit guards and do the two bucket method. Find you some decent soap, and soft wash mit/sponge, wheel/tire cleaner & brush, and some really really good microfiber towels.

1. wash
2. clay bar
3. polish with a d/a
4. rewash
5. wax
Exactly my Q... I don't need to polish. Just a nice wax to bring out the clarity and features of the Tuxedo Black. I may try the Adam's or Turtle wax black as suggested by a few here.

Thanks fellas!!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Fire Wet Diamond (BFWD) - likely the easiest & durable paint sealant to apply and remove. I get about 6 months of great protection on my wife's dd who takes it thru auto washes. On my truck, I only re-detail it 1/year.

Do not take your truck thru car wash unless you do want imperfect paint.

Real simple - After you apply BFWD or any you choose, when you do wash use Optimum No Rinse with the various two bucket method discussed above. It takes me 45 -60 minutes to do my whole truck (assuming it wasn't overly dirty). Every other car wash, use a good spray wax. I like Optimum Spray Wax. That takes 15 - 20 minutes.

Do that, and you shouldn't have to touch your paint until you do need correction.

To quickly wash your rims - spray them down with Griot's Wheel Cleaner, agitate with soft brush and rinse off. There are many sealants specific for tires and durable waxes people use. If you keep them clean you won't need anything special to protect them. That takes 15 minutes.

For about 90 minutes, every couple weeks you can great protection and shine in the middle of winter

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I take it through a no-touch wash near the house. It does a great job getting it clean during the cold days. This summer I will hand wash, enlisting the kiddos for help!!

Thanks for the tips!!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Super FX4

1. wash
2. clay bar
3. polish with a d/a
4. rewash
5. wax
I wasn't referring to Polishing immediately. Eventually, you will start seeing little swirl marks in your clearcoat and that would be the time for Polish.

Quick Reply: Tuxedo Black Polish