2009 - 2014 F-150

Start engine=A/C on. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start engine=A/C on. Why?

For the past several days each time I start the truck up the a/c is on. Any thoughts on what is causing this or how to prevent it.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you have the auto climate control? If so, the Auto button may be on. This will turn on the AC by itself to cool the truck down to whatever temp it is set to.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
The A/C will also run if the climate control is set to defrost and the temp is above something around 35 degrees, to provide dry air to clear the windshield.

BJ

Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
dragon,
I'm imbarassed to say I don't know if this truck has the auto climate control. Worse yet I don't even know where this Auto button is. Can you give me a hint

Old 09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
dragon,
I'm imbarassed to say I don't know if this truck has the auto climate control. Worse yet I don't even know where this Auto button is. Can you give me a hint
Hey, no worries! Here is a diagram of the auto climate controls. As you can see it's labeled #5:

And here is the manual climate controls which of course lacks the Auto button:

Last edited by seadragon; 09-13-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I know this sounds silly, but if you shut the truck off with the a/c on, then it will come back on when you start it the next time. I don't have the climate control, just the manual a/c.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
dragon,
Members like you make this forum one of the best on the web.

So I just turned off the Auto button and then restarted the truck but this time the heater was on so I turned that off by pushing in #13 and restarted the truck again. This time nothing was on so hopefully thats it but I'll see over the next couple days if everything remains off when I fire it up.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
"I know this sounds silly, but if you shut the truck off with the a/c on, then it will come back on when you start it the next time."

I'm proud to admit that this I already new.

The strange thing is that I have not used the a/c in almost 3 weeks, actually I haven't gone near the climate controls in the last 2-3 weeks. The a/c on at engine start up has been going on for several days now. During this time I have been turning the climate control off using the #13 button right after initial start up because there has been no need for a/c. So on the next start up bang the a/c would be on again, until yesterday when I did what I noted in my post #7 above.

So far since my last post I have started the truck 2 times without incident.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you hit auto and put in your desired temp the A/C and heat will keep it at that temp. (as you know) So your saying you don't want the A/C to run, In most times I don't ether. This is what I do. Hit auto (5), set the temp (guessing 13), hit the A/C (4). Now the A/C is off but you will still get heat depending what your temp is set at. If you don't want anything on, hit the middle of 13 that should turn it off. Maybe you hit the auto while cleaning and thats why the A/C was turning on.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
See here is the thing with this, even if I did hit the auto button while cleaning then the next time I started the truck the a/c was on, OK that makes sense to me. But I would hit the center of #13 to shut it off at that point however the next time I started the truck the a/c would be on again (and I didn't clean it again). Anyways this continued for several days until yesterday (see my post #7). I know it sounds crazy but that what its been doing.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

So what happens when you touch auto then the A/C? It should still be on auto without the A/C even if you turn off and on the truck? this is how I have mine because it is to cold to run the A/C now as well. But that is kinda weird that if you turn the unit off then turn off/on your truck the unit would be on again.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
I think it's funny this topic is here. I always turn off the climate control before I turn off the truck. Today when I started it up to go back to work the ac was on and was on full blast. It's been cooling off in VA so I have not run any climate controls in the truck for the past two weeks. No heat, no ac, no nothing haha. I just thought it was weird the truck did this. I have 2010 FX4 screw with the lux package so it has auto climate control. The truck has never done this before. But anyway when I leave work to go home I will see if it does it again.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, its a bit odd but finally figured out on the 09 Escape I had with auto climate control the a/c wouldn't be on in auto if the outside air temps were 49F or below... Seems with here in Pa the temps have been dropping and same on my F150

Quick Reply: Start engine=A/C on. Why?