Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket In Dash Nav/Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbonnel
My Setup:

Kimo
Nice choice or radio! I have the exact same set up...z110, and scoshe kit! didnt the radio make a huge difference in sound quality compared to the stock unit?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 PM
looks great. were the kits from metra like that? or did u paint it gloss black? i pictured them being textured plastic like their predecessors dor the double din holes. i love the buillt ford tough staying on all the time

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
another thing.. what the second holoe up top for? i noticed when i hooked up my loc to my stocker there was an unused connector in that location. what is it for? thx

Old 09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
bump

Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by milkmankc
looks great. were the kits from metra like that? or did u paint it gloss black? i pictured them being textured plastic like their predecessors dor the double din holes. i love the buillt ford tough staying on all the time
Hi, I got the kit painted gloss black to match the fx4 look. I went with the schoche kit, as I think it looks better.

Kimo

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Huge difference in quality. I also got new speakers when I did the install, so that helped too. I love this head unit.

Kimo

Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Nice choice or radio! I have the exact same set up...z110, and scoshe kit! didnt the radio make a huge difference in sound quality compared to the stock unit?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Huge difference in quality. I also got new speakers when I did the install, so that helped too. I love this head unit.

Kimo
is that unit Pioneer model z120bt?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by RollinOn22s
is that unit Pioneer model z120bt?
Hi, basically yes. It is the z110bt with the z120bt software update. (they are same hardware)

Kimo

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi, I got the kit painted gloss black to match the fx4 look. I went with the schoche kit, as I think it looks better.

Kimo
Out of curiosity...what did it cost you to get it painted? I am contemplating doing the same thing once i realized i cant just buy the OEM plate with the NAV cutout.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Kroezer95
Out of curiosity...what did it cost you to get it painted? I am contemplating doing the same thing once i realized i cant just buy the OEM plate with the NAV cutout.
Hi,

I am not 100% sure, as I had it done through the dealers installer. (car toys). I think the paint shop charged around $40 - $50 or so to have the paint color sampled and for the piece to be painted and then glossed. I think it really turned out nice, though you can see every fingerprint and dust speck (I keep a cleaning and duster cloth in the cubby)

Kimo

Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
I painted mine for like $20. Just buy some Krylon Fususion paint, and either semi-gloss or gloss clear. Rough up the Scoshe pice with some fine grit paper, like 400# or 600# then clean the pice completely with some degreaser. then spray paint the pieces using thin coats. when you fully get the piece coated to your liking, spray coat it with your choice of clear. I put on at least 2-3 coats of clear, then I used rubbing compound and coumpounded the clear to smoothign it down! then cleaned the piece fully again, and then recoated it with 2 more coats of clear. then I used fine compound on that, then used some polishing compound after the fine compound. Once i got it polished to a high shine i put some wax on it...now the dust doenst even stick to it.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
I painted mine for like $20. Just buy some Krylon Fususion paint, and either semi-gloss or gloss clear. Rough up the Scoshe pice with some fine grit paper, like 400# or 600# then clean the pice completely with some degreaser. then spray paint the pieces using thin coats. when you fully get the piece coated to your liking, spray coat it with your choice of clear. I put on at least 2-3 coats of clear, then I used rubbing compound and coumpounded the clear to smoothign it down! then cleaned the piece fully again, and then recoated it with 2 more coats of clear. then I used fine compound on that, then used some polishing compound after the fine compound. Once i got it polished to a high shine i put some wax on it...now the dust doenst even stick to it.
Ohh, wax, good idea, didn't even think about it.

Kimo

Old 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Ohh, wax, good idea, didn't even think about it.

Kimo
Just be careful you dont make your buttons white with the wax...I did mine while it was off, and nothing was attached to the piece

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I really want to change my head unit as well. I hate the standard factory sound , will the head unit make that much of a difference in quality? I don't want to change speakers or add a sub.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by J DIDDY
I really want to change my head unit as well. I hate the standard factory sound , will the head unit make that much of a difference in quality? I don't want to change speakers or add a sub.
You might ask this question in the audio forum - likely to get a more broad range of readers there since this forum is specific to the 09+ trucks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket In Dash Nav/Radio