2009 - 2014 F-150

flowmaster muffler question *noob*

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
-B-
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowmaster muffler question *noob*

New guy here, just got my truck a week ago and am loving it. Im fairly new to the aftermarket scene but am really wanting to get a little more noise out of the exhaust. I was looking at some mufflers and was wondering if this would fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-942458/
and
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5&autoview=sku

i had read a thread that the guy had a similar set up but I believe he was saying his piping was a little bit different size. Would this work? Just wanted some confirmation before pulling the trigger.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I once put a loud(er) muffler on my truck, (an aero turbine) it had great a great tone not too loud but you definately knew it was there.... after about a month I couldn't stand the noise anymore.
Unless you have had the loud muffler in the past and know what you are getting yourself into, I recommend keeping it stock...
In reguard to your question, I don't know if it will fit your existing pipe, but you can always get a reducer to modify the size of your exhaust.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
-B-
Originally Posted by dale29
I once put a loud(er) muffler on my truck, (an aero turbine) it had great a great tone not too loud but you definately knew it was there.... after about a month I couldn't stand the noise anymore.
Unless you have had the loud muffler in the past and know what you are getting yourself into, I recommend keeping it stock...
In reguard to your question, I don't know if it will fit your existing pipe, but you can always get a reducer to modify the size of your exhaust.
well thanks for the input. I have never had a loud exhaust, but with the stock one I feel it is too quiet. I just would really like to have a little more sound to it. Gives me something to think about though.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Flowmaster - aka Slowmaster or Fartmaster - is not ideal. You will lose some low end torque. Look at other brands, the longer the muffler, the less obnoxious (drone) it will be.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
-B-
Which would you suggest? I don't want real loud , just a little more muscley sound.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by -B-
well thanks for the input. I have never had a loud exhaust, but with the stock one I feel it is too quiet. I just would really like to have a little more sound to it. Gives me something to think about though.
Sure... Just keep your stock muffler in the garage just in case... plug up the ends of the muffler with rags and duct tape so you don't get any critters living in it.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well Hellooooo there, Mr. -b- ! Welcome, sir!

How is this? ==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...magnaflow.html

Have a browse/search over in the Exhausts forum - lots more like that thread above there - as well as a lot of helpful, knowledgeable & extremely opiniated folks.

And of course, the Emperor of Exhaust himself, Darren

Best of luck sir - I do very much hope you find something that pleases you!

MGD v4.2

Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Flowmaster - aka Slowmaster or Fartmaster - is not ideal. You will lose some low end torque. Look at other brands, the longer the muffler, the less obnoxious (drone) it will be.
Enough is enough, these certain people are all concerned of losing low end torque. Big ********** deal, 99 percent of people will not feel a difference, and the other 1 percent of the people that say they can tell a difference are full of it . Flowmaster has a very good sound and If you put the muffler far enough back towards the bed there will be very slight if any drone. I ran a super 44 flowmaster for 15000 miles and there was no drone to speak of because where the muffler was located. Go with the flowmaster 40 series and you will like the sound. Good Luck

Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I've had both Flowmaster and Magnaflow and prefer the Magnaflow sound.I agree with King Ranch Coy I couldn't feel any difference in the torque. Just go with what sounds best to you and fits the budget.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Enough is enough, these certain people are all concerned of losing low end torque. Big ********** deal, 99 percent of people will not feel a difference, and the other 1 percent of the people that say they can tell a difference are full of it . Flowmaster has a very good sound and If you put the muffler far enough back towards the bed there will be very slight if any drone. I ran a super 44 flowmaster for 15000 miles and there was no drone to speak of because where the muffler was located. Go with the flowmaster 40 series and you will like the sound. Good Luck
+1 i was going to say the same thing. the loss of power is so minimal that you will not notice. i put a flowmaster 40 series on my truck yesterday and i love the sound. it drones at different speeds but at highway, you dont even hear it. i have experience with mufflers droning so im used to it. if you want a nice deep tone, i would go flowmaster 40 series. you can probably get a shop made catback for $250. that is how much i paid a shop to make mine. he made it all 3" tubing all the way back and it sounds great.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good morning!

A good read - a classic actually, from someone who has forgotten more about exhaust than most of you will ever know ...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...e-exhaust.html.

I will always opt fer systems that enhance, or at least preserve, low-end torque, which is not in over-abundance in these 6,000lb trucks to begin with.

The goal is usually to plan mods that complement each other - every little bit helps,. No point fer me to make changes that degrade the results of another mod - f'rinstance, with towing in mind - adding custom tuning for torque gains then attaching an exhaust system that has known torque loss and scavenging issues (which also raises EGT's by the way, whether you know it of not), and then enlarging the piping which also induces even more loss at the low-end due to reduced velocity. Or adding a POS CAI like a Volant that simply does nothing but choke the motor at the upper end, and adds no other benefit other than percieved 'bragging rights'.

As for sound - very subjective - but if the Maggie/Borla experience sits well with yer ears, then it's a win-win. Best of both worlds. And does not cost much, if at all, more. IMHO.

Personal preference is key - 100% agree.

MGD v4.2

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-22-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
i understand where you are coming from but when you want to increase HP or TQ numbers, that is mainly for towing and performance. if you just want sound and dont mind losing a little bit then go with what sounds best. im out of the performance market. i used to work on my mustangs and did anything i can to boost HP/TQ numbers to include head/cam/intake swap. to me, losing a bit of torque in the interest of better sound is fine with me. i do not tow on a regular basis nor do i care about performance numbers. the number loss is nothing major to stress about over what muffler you use.

Quick Reply: flowmaster muffler question *noob*