2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need your Advice..."4x4 Fault code" due to oil change/tire rotation at Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your Advice..."4x4 Fault code" due to oil change/tire rotation at Dealership?

All, need your help and suggestions here. I have a 2009 Platinum 4x4 (8200 miles) and this past Sat. I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation (front to back). Well after 40 minutes they called me said it was ready and pulled my truck up into the service drive. I went out got in, started it and immediately the message center is flashing "4x4 Shift in Progress / 4x4 High". I'm thinking what the heck - as the dash **** is in the 4x2 position (as it is 99.95% of the time) and I haven't even put the truck in drive yet. I immediately go and pull the guy who had just parked my truck over and ask him what gives?? By this time the service writer is coming over and the guy jumps in my truck and fiddles with both the 4x4 selector **** and the integrated trailer brake controller (??) I'm asking him why he's messing with the trailer brake controller - but the service writer interrupts me and by the time I turn back - he's managed to get the "4x4 Shift in Progress" light off. So, I go my merry way and stop by market (about 4 miles or so) on my way home. As I leave the market a few minutes later (having chalked the 4x4 affair up to a one time fluke) I accelerate up to about 40MPH in drive with Don Henley's "Sunset Grill" blaring and hear this god-awful screeching/grinding noise coming from my truck...sounds like one of the wheels has come off and I'm doing 40mph on my front brake rotor...I immediately pull off the road into a dirt field and shut the truck off, and get out and visually inspect the wheels, underhood, look for fluid dripping, etc. Nothing?? So I get back in restart the truck and it's in the "4x4 Shift in Progress/4x4 High" mode again?? I start out slowly and it is driving ok (no more grinding) so I limp it home (about 1/2 mile away) with the 4x4 Shift in Progress/4x4 High" message flashing the whole way. I immediately call the dealer and (of course) her 1st response is that they had nothing to do with it (this "responsibility avoidance" tactic used by dealers really makes me angry - must be part of the Service Writer 101 course or something). I then remind her that the truck only has 8K miles on it, has never been off road and it happened when they brought it up for me in THEIR service drive. She got real quiet and said she would call me back. About 90 minutes later she calls and tells me that she checked with her service technician and he said that the 4x4 selector **** must have been accidentially turned "by someone" and that putting the truck in neutral and turning the **** back to 4x2 would take care of it...sheesh. I've already tried that at least 6 times before she called. The message center is now flashing between "4x4 Shift in Progress/4x4 High" and "4x4 Fault with the picture of the flashing wrench".

I'm going to have to take the truck back in today and am worried that they will clear the 4x4 fault code and tell me all is OK...what worries me is that awful grinding noise at 40mph...I'm afraid that grinding may have hurt the 4x4 system and down the road I'm going to have issues with it (after the warranty has expired and at my expense of course).....

1) Anyone have this happen and what was the outcome?

2) Could the technician who changed my oil and rotated my tires have messed anything up in the 4x4 system due to the tire rotation (doesn't sound likely I know).

Sorry for the long post but I really like this truck and am now very disappointed that I'm haivng these kinds of issues with it

Last edited by HotLap; 03-01-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Well...glad to see none of you have have had issues with your 4x4 system...

Update, my Ford dealer called today and they have called the Ford "Hot Line" whatever that means? Apparantly they never see this kind of thing - I guess I'm the lucky one So far they have diagnosed that the 4x4 engagement motor (electric) that resides in the transfer case tore itself up trying to engage the 4 wheel drive when it shouldn't have...they plan on replacing it -but my comment to them was what was the motor grinding against? I'm thinking the gear in the tranfer case and that probably needs to be replaced as well. Anyone know if Ford will just approve a new transfercase/4 wheel drive engagment motor (since they appear to be in the same unit)? Anyone able to school me on the transfer case and if Ford would likely replace it with a new one or is my local dealer going to try and fix it?

This situation blows and is really beginning to down me on this truck...just went in for an oil change and tire rotation.....anyone know how my dealer could have caused this since it happend in his service drive and I don't believe in coincindences...could this have happend by someone just messing with the dash selector or something...

T.I.A.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
That motor can go bad just from the lack of use. I would shift into 4wd drive once a month to keep it in working order. I do mine. I never had a problem in any years I have owned.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by smunczen
That motor can go bad just from the lack of use. I would shift into 4wd drive once a month to keep it in working order. I do mine. I never had a problem in any years I have owned.
Good point...I hadn't really thought of that - but will be using 4x4 more often once I get it back. thx

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by smunczen
This is exactly why I didn't get a 4X4... I wanted it really bad, but in the end knew I would have little to no REAL need for it and I've always heard that you could end up with issues if it doesn't get used. What I like most about the 4X4 is the stance... I can achieve that with a leveling kit though...

To OP, good luck, hopefully Ford will come through and take care of this thoroughly and you can be happy with your F150 again.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
The 4x4 system isn't perfect, as you have found out.

This is my second truck with 4x4 and so far, I never had a problem. As others have mentioned, occassionally I pop it into 4x4 hi (when going straight, not turning) and into 4x4 lo when in a big parking lot to keep the components in working order (or so I like to think).

As for your problem, it could be entirely coincidental your 4x4 system decide to dump when at the dealer. Or it could be the mechanic drove it into the bay using 4x4 mode and chewed some of the gear when making a few turns. Tough case to prove.

Quick Reply: Need your Advice..."4x4 Fault code" due to oil change/tire rotation at Dealership?