2009 - 2014 F-150

Confused about wheel backspacing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about wheel backspacing

I have my eyes on a set of 18" wheels for my FX4 but cant figure out the back spacing issue. I dont mind if the tires stick out a bit from the fenders (not 3 inches) but I cant seem to get a good take on what the backspacing is on the Factory 18" wheel.

The wheels I am pondering over are the Eagle Alloy Series 197 (Chrome) or the Eagle Alloy Series 064, both are 18" wheels, the 064 series is an 18x10 with an ET-24 and the 197 series is an 18x9 with an ET-11.

I would like to rap them in a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers
in a 35x12.50x18, I plan on putting a 2" leveling kit before ordering anything.

First off, how far out from the fenders will either wheel and tire combo stick?

Second, Can I even put that large of a tire on with just a 2" leveling kit or will I run into rubbing issues?

Sorry if this has been posted and answered but I did a search and cant come up with a definitive answer.

I am clueless and want to do this after the holidays...
(I cant stand my Goodyear SRA's)

Here's pictures of the rims I am referring to.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/wheels/ae/197.jpg

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/wheels/ae/064.jpg

Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I have looked up your wheels. They both have a backspace of 4.5". The 9" wheel has an offset of -11 and the 10" as -24.

The info is in this forum you may have to get creative on your search. Maybe do a search on "level kits" in the 2009 forum only. Wandell posts wheel info and opinions all the time and this topic has been covered alot. There are people with a 2009 who have posted info on 4.5 through 6.3" backspacing on their wheels. Also try a 2009 forum search with "wheels" and "tires". There should be alot of info come up.

The wheels I run have a 6.18" backspace and tuck in nicely. All my info is in my photo galleries. I looked at the same wheels you are looking at now. With that backspacing they will stick our your fenders alot just at the wheel - even more with a wide tire as the tread and sidewall of the tire itself is not flush with the outer face of the rim. If you are running an 8 inch wide wheel but going to a 9 or 10 inch wide wheel it adds even more to the amount sticking out of your fenders. The 9 will add an extra half inch and the 10 will add another 1 inch compared to an 8 inch wide rim.

It is very hard to find wheels with the correct BS - even harder finding one in a style that an individual likes. I wanted 18 inch rims but went to 20 inch to find a style and bs that I liked.

To make a long story even longer - 4.5" backspace with a big tire will give you alot of rim and tire sticking out. If your tire has an aggressive tread it will be around 3 inches. Most everybody who runs a combo like that has or wants to put on fender flares.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited by jusadog; 11-28-2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect info - see Wandell's post for OEM backspacing
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Those will rub terribly with just a level. You need more backspacing to run that much tire on just a level. At least 5.5" on a 9" wheel. If you really like those wheels either get a 6" lift or smaller tires.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THe OEM 17 and 18 inch wheels are 7.5 inches wide with 5.5 inches of backspacing. A 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS will stick out 2.5 inches farther than your OEM wheels. The 10 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS will stick out 3.5 inches farther than the stock wheels. You can fit 33's with either wheel, but you are gonna need more lift for 35's.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Here is a website to take a look at:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

It helped me understand the whole backspacing/offset info as I was very confused at first also.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Old 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
THe OEM 17 and 18 inch wheels are 7.5 inches wide with 5.5 inches of backspacing. A 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS will stick out 2.5 inches farther than your OEM wheels. The 10 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS will stick out 3.5 inches farther than the stock wheels. You can fit 33's with either wheel, but you are gonna need more lift for 35's.
Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
Here is a website to take a look at:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

It helped me understand the whole backspacing/offset info as I was very confused at first also.
Originally Posted by statikuz
Thanks for the quick response and websites to check out.
I believe I have made up my mind to go with the XD Series XD795 Hoss wheels mounted to BF Goodrich All- Terrain T/A KO's. I believe this is my best option as I cant put a suspension lift on my truck since I park it in my garage.
I might search around for a more aggressive looking tire in the same size. I really like the tread pattern and price of the Nitto Trail Grapplers but I may be stuck with the BF Goodrich. That's ok though in my opinion.

Thanks again, I look to get this going after the holidays.

Mrs Clause wont let me drop the dime on them right now....

Quick Reply: Confused about wheel backspacing