2009 - 2014 F-150

Wheel Opinion Please........

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wheel Opinion Please........

I am looking at the following wheel:

http://www.procomptires.com/truck-je...90-wheels.aspx

I like the styling of it - but not sure how it will look on a 2009 F150.

Would appreciate your opinion on the wheel. I will be running 35 X 12.50 toyo mt.

The following is a sleep deprived rant:

I also do not understand the backspacing and offset dimensions they list. I am looking at the 20 x 8.5 wheel with a +19 offset with 5.5 backspacing.

8.5 /2= 4.25" which would be dead center of the wheel. So I take 4.25" + 19MM(.750") to get to the hub face. I come up with 5" of backspace and not 5.5. I want no less than 5.5" of backspacing as I dont want my tires hanging out.

Am I missing something here besides sleep and a life? Calling pro comp tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Please excuse me as my brain is going into meltdown looking through threads, internet, etc, looking at wheels. Thanks in advance for your opinions/thoughts - nighty night.:santa:

Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM
I think they would look good on your truck. Are you planning on a leveling kit? What size tires do you want?

If you are going to level it and run 33s, you will probably be okay. If you are trying to sneak 35s in there, you should prabably be around +25 or +30. On a 35 you also need to consider the tire width.

Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
If they say it is 5.5", then it is 5.5". The mounting width is different than the total width. It is the total width from which the BS is taken from. There is usually 1/4" of actual "rim" on the inside and another 1/4" on the outside. If they publish the offset and BS, then it is what it is.

Those wheels seem darn near factory specs for BS, they shouldn't stick out horribly at all, they are only an inch wider than a stock 18" wheels and 1/2" wider than a stock 20" wheel.

Have you tried a wheel calculator to show how much more it sticks in and out?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I noticed the same thing while wheel shopping. A nine inch wide wheel with 4.5" bs had a positive offset. Glad that stage in my truck is over, what a pain in the butt.

Edit: doing the same calculation for my wheels yields 5.21" bs, rather than the advertised 5.71". You should be just fine. Just have to trim the front plastic a hair.

Last edited by broncobran68; 07-17-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by yetti96
If they say it is 5.5", then it is 5.5". The mounting width is different than the total width. It is the total width from which the BS is taken from. There is usually 1/4" of actual "rim" on the inside and another 1/4" on the outside. If they publish the offset and BS, then it is what it is.

Those wheels seem darn near factory specs for BS, they shouldn't stick out horribly at all, they are only an inch wider than a stock 18" wheels and 1/2" wider than a stock 20" wheel.

Have you tried a wheel calculator to show how much more it sticks in and out?
I have used the calculator before but have forgotten the ford wheel specs. I have had too many numbers going through my head and misplaced the data.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by smokestone
I think they would look good on your truck. Are you planning on a leveling kit? What size tires do you want?

If you are going to level it and run 33s, you will probably be okay. If you are trying to sneak 35s in there, you should prabably be around +25 or +30. On a 35 you also need to consider the tire width.

Good Luck!
I originally found those specs in this rim. On tirepackage.com they have the wheel in the gloss black and solid chrome versions for $100 a wheel. They were 20 x 8.5 with 6 inch bs and 30mm offset. I thought I hit the motherlode. I ordered a set of both. The chromes for good weather and the gloss blacks for winter. Couldnt beat that deal. When you use their website you can pick it up in a local store. That was 4wheelparts. The guy called me from 4 wheel and said none were in stock. BUT - oddly enough he could find them elsewhere but not at the advertised price. RIGHT! This is two orders that I have had to cancel with tirepackage.com. Every time they have had a special on a style of rims oddly enough something strange happens. So I have cancelled two orders with them and will not try to buy from them anymore.

They still advertise the rims in both styles but the rim is discontinued - that I find out from pro comp. Which oddly enough has the same address in compton CA as tirepackage.com!

Last edited by jusadog; 07-18-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by broncobran68
I noticed the same thing while wheel shopping. A nine inch wide wheel with 4.5" bs had a positive offset. Glad that stage in my truck is over, what a pain in the butt.

Edit: doing the same calculation for my wheels yields 5.21" bs, rather than the advertised 5.71". You should be just fine. Just have to trim the front plastic a hair.
LOL - tell me about it! Im trying to stay with an 18 inch wheel. It is a pain making all the necessary numbers jive and find a style that suits us individually. It will happen - some time soon I hope!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by jusadog
I originally found those specs in this rim. On tirepackage.com they have the wheel in the gloss black and solid chrome versions for $100 a wheel. They were 20 x 8.5 with 6 inch bs and 30mm offset. I thought I hit the motherlode. I ordered a set of both. The chromes for good weather and the gloss blacks for winter. Couldnt beat that deal. When you use their website you can pick it up in a local store. That was 4wheelparts. The guy called me from 4 wheel and said none were in stock. BUT - oddly enough he could find them elsewhere but not at the advertised price. RIGHT! This is two orders that I have had to cancel with tirepackage.com. Every time they have had a special on a style of rims oddly enough something strange happens. So I have cancelled two orders with them and will not try to buy from them anymore.

They still advertise the rims in both styles but the rim is discontinued - that I find out from pro comp. Which oddly enough has the same address in compton CA as tirepackage.com!
Here is the deal. Transamerican Auto Parts owns tirepackage.com, procomp wheels, procomp tires, 4wheelparts, smittybilt, 4wheel drive, and others. If they have dropped the price that low, it was to get rid of them. The guy from 4WP should be able to get that price. Go see the manager. Alot of times he is the only one that can pull any strings.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok - finally ordered some wheels. I wanted to stay with 18" but could not find a wheel I liked in the proper backspacing. So I ordered some 20" incubus brawns from rimzone. They are 20 x 9 with 6.18BS and 30mm offset.

There were no pics of these rims in the size/offset I ordered showing them on a vehicle. If they suck butt I will just send them back. Will wait to order the toyos until I know what width of tire I can run - either 35 x 12.50 x 20 or will use the same size toyo that smokestone is using. Oh yeah - will have the bds 2.5" level kit.

http://www.rimzoneonline.com/images/...brawn_full.jpg

The wheel shopping madness is over for now - thanks for everyone's help/advice/opinions.

Quick Reply: Wheel Opinion Please........