2009 - 2014 F-150

Gearshift Selector Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearshift Selector Question

Just a quick question regarding the gearshift selector operation on these trucks...specifically shifting to Neutral from Drive (with the center console shifter).

In every vehicle with an automatic transmission that I've driven before, you can shift from Drive to Neutral by just pushing up on the gearshift lever without having to depress the lock button (so you don't accidently go too far and select Reverse). However, on my new Lariat, I was surprised to find that in order to shift to Neutral from Drive, I have to depress the lock button at the same time. Is this typical for Ford (this is my first Ford truck)? Not really a problem I guess, I just found it strange.

BTW...I checked the owner's manual, and there is no mention of this that I could find.

Thanks...
Greg

Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I can change from N to D without pressing the shift button. I do it a lot a lights when im sitting for a while.

Made mistake when i posted. Cant go from D to N.

Last edited by Barritia; 07-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I can change from D to N without pressing the shift button. I do it a lot a lights when im sitting for a while.
Thanks for the response...that's how I would expect it to work. So maybe I do have a problem then...I'll have to get the dealer to check it out next time I'm there.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I have to press the button to go into neutral from drive. My '06 was the very same. This is normal.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
My 09 will not go into neutral from drive without pressing the button, just tried it at lunch.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked mine today also -

I can go from neutral to drive without the button

I can not go from drive to neutral without the button.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone...I guess I'm normal again

Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a column shifter and have the same issue. I can go from N to D without pulling the lever towards me, but not from D to N. My 07 F150 Work Truck does not have the issue. Does anyone know of a neutral button on the Column shifters? I am scared one day I'll end up in reverse by accident. Maybe this is a new Federal requirement?
Jim

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by mast2beam
I have a column shifter and have the same issue. I can go from N to D without pulling the lever towards me, but not from D to N. My 07 F150 Work Truck does not have the issue. Does anyone know of a neutral button on the Column shifters? I am scared one day I'll end up in reverse by accident. Maybe this is a new Federal requirement?
Jim
You shouldnt have a prob by accidentally going into reverse because you must pull the shifter towards you. You cant hit it up and go into reverse.
On all vehicles I have driven you have to push the button to go from d to n

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Every F150 I've ever driven that has the floor shifter has been this way. Not certain as to the reason why but the only thing I can think of is that the floor shifter in an automatic in a truck is a fairly new concept and this could be a control measure so that you don't accidentally shift into neutral while off-road. After all it is a truck so the manufacturer is expecting every truck to be used as a truck and that includes off-road use. Which is why it could be different from a cars floor shifter. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Gearshift Selector Question