2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for new F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for new F150

I have someone that is looking at buying my 04 F150 and I have been looking for a new one for the past couple of weeks. I am having trouble finding the exact truck that I am looking for. What I want is a Screw 4x4 with the 6.5' bed. I also want the max tow package that comes with the tow mirrors, b/c I installed them on my 04 and I love them, and the brake controller. But for some reason every truck in my area that has the max trailer tow package does not have the integrated brake controller. I know that I can install it myself, but it doesnt make since to me why it would be called the "Max trailer tow" package and doesnt come with the brakes. Does anyone know why this might be? Also, is the screw 4x4 6.5' bed a rare truck, there arent a whole lot of those around either.....

Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same questions about the brake controller when I was buying.

It seems that when these first '09's were ordered, most dealers didn't know about the integrated brake controller.

The truck I bought had the max tow package without the controller - like you say, just didn't make sense.

According to the new features of the '10's, the brake controller is now standard with the max tow package.

It's no problem getting the brake controller added at the dealer - or you can install it yourself. Either way, you still need to have the dealer program the computer to recognize the controller.

It was all well worth it - the integrated brake controller works so well - I am so happy with it!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let a truck without the brake controller stop you from buying it. Make sure as part of the purchase, the dealer will install the brake controller and program the computer and you're good to go.

It seems to me, Ford dealers order trucks with options geared to their local market. Major city dealers will have their trucks equipped differently than a small town/city dealer. Anyways, you may have to check online with nearby dealerships to see what they have on their lots.

My last bit of advice is to look at the payload capacity (tire pressure sticker) on the door jamb before buying to see if the truck will suit your driving/hauling/towing needs. The more options, luxurious and bigger the truck, the less the capacity.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much weight are you considering towing? The 6.5' bed 4x4 Screw can have a paylaod as low as 792 pounds, which puts you at about a 6k pound trailer with only the driver, a full tank of fuel, and a pack of gum. Take a family of 4 with a couple bikes and gear in the bed and you can't legally and safely tow a trailer.

Quick Reply: Looking for new F150