2009 - 2014 F-150

A Diesel?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part deux (5k character limit... grr)

Pedal to the metal at Ford

Ford plans to launch a light-duty diesel in the F-150 and possibly the Expedition SUV in 2009.

The 4.4-liter engine is a larger version of the 3.6-liter turbocharged V-8 used in European market Land Rover Range Rovers.

International's lawsuit against Ford says Ford plans to build the engine in Mexico, but Ford officials aren't talking.

Ford officials also won't say who might buy a light-duty diesel truck or whether putting the diesel in an F-150 could cannibalize sales of the bigger, more expensive F-250. But they do make it clear they want to be first.

"Our 30 years of truck leadership is founded on having the most capable and innovative trucks out there," says Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood. "It's important to continue to be the leader by delivering on those principles."

Earlier this year, the Chrysler group confirmed that it will use at least one new engine from its diesel supplier, Cummins Inc., in the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. The engine is a 4.2-liter V-6 that Cummins developed with the U.S. Department of Energy.

Early test versions cranked out 190 hp and an estimated 570 pounds-feet of torque. Cummins is developing a V-8 based on the same architecture.

Diesels = profit

All Detroit 3 automakers offer diesels in their heavy-duty trucks. The engines are popular and profitable.

About 40 percent of the 796,000 Ford F-series trucks sold in the United States last year were diesel-powered. Diesels are optional in Ford's F-250 and larger trucks.

Sales of GM's heavy-duty Silverado and Sierra diesels are capped at about 200,000 units annually because of production constraints at the Moraine, Ohio, plant. Dodge sold about 150,000 heavy-duty Ram pickups in 2006 with Cummins-built diesel engines.

A diesel costs a consumer an average of $6,660 more than a comparable gasoline engine. But after 4½ years of ownership, a diesel truck is worth $4,700 more than a gasoline-powered truck, according to a study by the Martec Group, a marketing and consulting firm.

Also after 4½ years, the diesel owner has spent about $4,200 less on fuel than the gasoline engine owner, Martec says. Last week the average price of a gallon of diesel fuel was $2.91, 7 cents less than for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline.

Diesel truck sales generate at least $1 billion in additional profits to the Detroit 3, Martec says.

Kevin McMahon, managing partner of the Martec Group's Detroit office, says automakers likely will charge between $4,000 and $6,000 for diesels in their light-duty trucks over the base engine. And they will make money, he predicts. Consumers, he said, will choose the diesel because it boosts resale value and offers greater fuel efficiency.

Says McMahon: "The (light-truck) customer today is losing ground on fuel efficiency because of the gasoline engine."

Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
If Ford powers the F150 with a diesel engine, they will dominate the 1/2 ton market. I won't be amazed if the Japanese steal the momentum from The americans, if the Japanese bring the diesel engine to the market first. In the past, Ford had great plans but they did not deliver.

Last edited by Ilovemyford; 07-11-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
If Ford powers the F150 with a diesel engine, they will dominate the market of the 1/2 tom truck. I won't be amazed if the Japanese steal the momentum from The americans, if they bring the diesel engine to the market first. In the past, Ford had great plans but they did not deliver.
You can say that again...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by MrSquirrel
yes there has also been rumor that Ford wants to put a diesel into the new F-150 as an option. It is rumored to be a 4.4L engine out of the Land Rover division in Britain, i do not know a whole lot about it but it is rumored to make:

4.4L diesel
around 350 HP
around 500 TQ

but this^^ seems quite extreme but would be one hell of a towing machine
Interesting to note the last diesel available in a "half-ton" was the 95 Chevy/GM Its #'s were: 6.5-liter diesel V8-155 hp, 275 lb.-ft.; 6.5-liter turbodiesel V8-180 hp, 360 lb.-ft.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
You can say that again...
What I meant is that Ford had plans in the past to introduce the diesel engine named "Lion" that was being developed by International Truck and Engine Corporation. Then Ford management decided to cancel the project. The whole thing about Ford management is being reactive rather than proactive, They will wait until the competition introduces a more efficient engine for them to do the same.
Ford proved in the past not to have the interest of the consumer in mind when making decisions. In the late 90's, I think they introduced a Ranger running on electricity, people loved it. But Ford along with GM and other auto manufacturers decided to stop the electric car experiment and shred all of the electric vehicles (you heard it right they shred them). If you get some time rent who killed the electric car, after watching the documentary, you won't feel bad about Ford and GM.
Now going back to the new diesel, that might be an option in the newly designed F150, Navistar (operator of International truck Engine Corporation) is alleging that Ford is using the Navistar's engine design for the new 4.4L Ford engine.
Navistar is seeking damages in hundreds of millions of dollars. If the introduction of the engine will cost Ford a lot of money in litigation costs. What do Think Ford will do? I won’t be surprised to see Ford abandoning the introduction of the diesel engine in the F150.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 AM

What I meant is that Ford had plans in the past to introduce the diesel engine named "Lion" that was being developed by International Truck and Engine Corporation. Then Ford management decided to cancel the project. The whole thing about Ford management is being reactive rather than proactive, They will wait until the competition introduces a more efficient engine for them to do the same.
Ford proved in the past not to have the interest of the consumer in mind when making decisions. In the late 90's, I think they introduced a Ranger running on electricity, people loved it. But Ford along with GM and other auto manufacturers decided to stop the electric car experiment and shred all of the electric vehicles (you heard it right they shred them). If you get some time rent who killed the electric car, after watching the documentary, you won't feel bad about Ford and GM.
Now going back to the new diesel, that might be an option in the newly designed F150, Navistar (operator of International truck Engine Corporation) is alleging that Ford is using the Navistar's engine design for the new 4.4L Ford engine.
Navistar is seeking damages in hundreds of millions of dollars. If the introduction of the engine will cost Ford a lot of money in litigation costs. What do Think Ford will do? I won’t be surprised to see Ford abandoning the introduction of the diesel engine in the F150.
Hmmm... very true... I am beginning to doubt a lot of this talk about a 6.2l BOSS (hurricane) engine in the F150... and a diesel. But only time will tell.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
This article http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=121668#3 casts doubt on the 4.4L diesel being ready for 2009.

I does say that the crew cab should be roomier than the Dodge Ram Mega Cab and larger than the Toyota Tundra Crew Max.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I love articles like that.

If "suppliers" are gushing confidential information like that 12 months ahead of time, don't look for them to be "suppliers" very long.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 PM

Does anyone really know?! No. I am even surprised there is a subforum about the future models... but I suppose one can only dream.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 AM
I can tell you this much because I work for a Ford supplier.

If Ford got wind that we were blabbing about their business and releasing confidential info.... we would not be doing business with them anymore.

These manufacturers take that stuff deadly serious and there is a mountain of legal paperwork that underscores it.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
What I meant is that Ford had plans in the past to introduce the diesel engine named "Lion" that was being developed by International Truck and Engine Corporation. Then Ford management decided to cancel the project.
First off, the "Lion" diesel was not ever being developed by International/Navstar because it is already being made by the European division of Ford. In fact Ford's Dagenham Diesel Centre has been putting this motor in the Range Rover for two years now. Looks to me like Ford is attempting to get away from Navstar all together for the 1/2 ton diesel line.

Second - Who killed the electric car?!?! Are you kidding me? The electric car is one of the least feasible options for clean energy out there. The efficiency of the internal combustion engine is FAR superior to that of even the most advance coal fired power plants which generate most of the electricity in this country. Coal fired plants operate at less that 30% efficiency. Then compound that with all of the energy lost in power distribution, the additional weight of the battery, and the copious amounts of lithium or lead/acid required to produce such batteries and you will soon realize that the electric car concept was dead from the start.

To the credit of the electric car, Tesla Motors has produced a high performance electric car, but it is more of a novelty than a solution to the current energy situation. Look it up at www.teslamotors.com - It's an amazing car, but starting at $100,000 it offers little in terms of improving efficiency and reducing the overall cost of transportation.

Last edited by JHiggs; 07-15-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 PM
So I saw a diesel f-150 the other day and just wanted to share. He was behind me and I noticed the yellow decals on the window so I knew something was up. I slowed way down at a green light to turn left and he roared by me on the right. I believe it was a 2007 lariat supercrew that they popped the diesel in. Once he drove by I tried to follow him but that would have required quite the accident to happen. Just thought I would throw that out there. Oh yeah and it sounded quite nice to hear that sound coming from a f-150.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by brocious03
So I saw a diesel f-150 the other day and just wanted to share. He was behind me and I noticed the yellow decals on the window so I knew something was up. I slowed way down at a green light to turn left and he roared by me on the right. I believe it was a 2007 lariat supercrew that they popped the diesel in. Once he drove by I tried to follow him but that would have required quite the accident to happen. Just thought I would throw that out there. Oh yeah and it sounded quite nice to hear that sound coming from a f-150.
That is some of the best news I've heard today - it gives me a small hope that the 2009 F150 will have a diesel and I won't have to wait til the 2010 model comes out.

The interesting part of this post is the fact that they were testing the motor in the 2007 F150. This new diesel motor must be fairly similar in size and weight to the current 5.4l motor for them to have dropped it straight into the current body style truck.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by PHS79
For those of us that pull trailers alot, but not enough to justify a F250 PSD, a little 4.4L diesel(or what ever size they go with) is just the ticket. And when not pulling anything, the extra MPG is just an added bonus
You state it all right there. MUCH better than the 5.4 to pull heavy loads (car trailers etc), better gas mileage, and less expensive and smaller than the super duties. They will cost more than the gas equivalent but the resale will be higher too. I am SO in for a diesel f-150!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Diesel?