2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller ??

I have a 09 5.4 XLT w/ tow package 3.55 gears. Has anyone had the the factory trailer brake controller installed at the dealer ?? If so , how much ??? I am new to towing and we are in the process of purchasing a 26 ft travel trailer.. It seems the ford controller integrates with the display on the dash and has some bells and whistles that aftermarket units dont...

Also, How difficult is it to install an aftermarket unit from an auto parts store and how much cheaper will that be ??? I already have the plug by the receiver installed from the factory....

Also, How well will this truck do pulling 6k pounds ???? I am somewhat intimidated by doing this, I have never pulled more than about 1k pounds with anything....

Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my Ford brake controller installed by my dealer - cost was $290 for the controller and $40 for installation/programming.

You can install an aftermarket unit yourself if you choose:

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...ford-f150.aspx

I highly recommend going with the Ford integrated controller.

Lots of reading on the forum here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=2817707

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
The dealer is trying to tell me that its not available as an accessory only as OEM...... That is hard to believe, the wording in the owners manual says its available from the dealer....

HELP !!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
brake controller

I can't speak about the Ford controller except that it is definitely available from the dealer - if you get the oem controller, the computer needs to be programmed (I'm not sure why)

I use a Tekonsha Prodigy controller that I installed - I've used this same controller on a few different trucks and it works very well, and it's easy to install -I located it in the same place as the factory controller would go - and no computer modification is necessary.

As far as 6000 lbs goes - I have the Crew XLT with the 3.55 gears. I pull an enclosed 24 ft trailer that hauls a race car and various junk, tool boxes, spare tires, etc. My weight is approximately 5k-6k. It tows with no problem.

I use a distribution hitch with an anti-sway bar, also - I'd recommend the distribution hitch to anyone - the anti-sway bar is good, but not necessary (It's only $50) so it's not that bad. The distribution hitch can be pretty expensive. I use this one - and it's $260 -
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...GoogleProducts

Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by wwilliamson
The dealer is trying to tell me that its not available as an accessory only as OEM...... That is hard to believe, the wording in the owners manual says its available from the dealer....

HELP !!!!!!!!
It may not be available as an accessory but it is available as a part. Several guys have upgraded afterwards. Just be firm with them, they are not always too well informed.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by wwilliamson

HELP !!!!!!!!
I had it done - have my invoice right in front of me -

Part # 9L3Z-2C006-A

Here is a copy/paste from another forum with the instructions for programming:

NOTE: The trailer brake system is normally installed at the assembly plant, however, the system can be installed at the dealership but only if the vehicle is equipped with the trailer tow option. This option can be confirmed by verifying the presence of both the 4-pin and the 7-pin connectors at the rear of the vehicle as well as a receiver hitch. If the vehicle is not equipped with these 3 items, then it is not equipped with trailer tow and cannot have the factory Trailer Brake Control (TBC) system installed. On those vehicles equipped with the trailer tow option, the electrical connector for the TBC module is attached to the back of the coin bin/storage tray. If the system is installed at the dealership, the TBC module will be installed in place of the coin bin/storage tray and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be configured to communicate with the TBC module. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual, Cell 95 Trailer/Camper Adapter and Cell 151 Component Location Views for connector and wiring information. Refer to Programmable Parameters in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section for information on IC configuration.

* Without a trailer connected to the vehicle and with the ignition key turned to the RUN position, the TBC module display lights up/proves out, but does not light up afterward (will not illuminate with input from the gain + button or slide lever)

* Instrument Cluster (IC) not configured for TBC system

* REFER to DTC U2202 in the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart.

Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

2. Select Programming and press the check box.

3. Select Module Programming and press the check box.

4. Select Programmable Parameters and press the check box.

5. Select Personality and press the check box.

6. Follow the on-screen directions.
NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

8. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

9. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.
Refer to the etrailer link above that shows how to remove the trim panel and the little cubby holder - the wiring harness for the brake controller is connected to the rear of the cubby - just unplug from the cubby, plug into the brake controller.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I had the factory unit in my '06 F-350 and it was AWESOME! Sounds like the new one for the F-150's would work even better. My FX4 with the center consul just doesn't have a good spot to install the after market unit I'm using. The factory unit is such a clean looking install in a handy location, plus the additional features it has over an aftermarket unit make it an upgrade I will definitely do.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I tend to forget about the added features besides how smooth a control it is -

Automatically disables the reverse sensing system when the trailer cord is plugged in.

And the integrated trailer sway control - not the I would (hopefully) ever need it - nice feeling knowing that the system is watching/feeling what is going on.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
If you are going to add it. Buy it from Tasca ford. Heres a link.

http://www.tascafordparts.com//index.do

It is by far the cheapest place I've found for ford parts. Then you can install it yourself - very simple and then bring it to the dealer and have them program it quickly. Should only take a half hour at the most.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
has anyone installed the ford controller on a f150 with a console? the direction says i have to pull the center console...

Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I have the same question, how do you install it in a truck with a center console?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I am in the middle of the install on my 10 FX4 SCREW. It appears that the connector is somewhere under the transmission wire and not behind the controller delete bin. I've still not found it.

I have the tow package.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Also did mine last weekend and had it programmed this past Monday. Gave the dealers the instructions above and they had taken care of it and with no charge. The wire you're looking for Bonjo2 is right below where the controller goes factory taped to a harness. You'll see the grey connector. It has an adaptor on it that needs to be removed as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Will 09 w/display fit a 10 w/o display?

I have an 2010 screw platinum with the NEW (display-less) brake controller. I like the 09 that has the display BOTH on the speedo AND the brake controller. Does anyone know if its a direct swap? Would it still need dealer programming?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I was "told" they are not interchangeable, but I do agree!

Quick Reply: Integrated Trailer Brake Controller ??