2004 - 2008 F-150

2006 no crank/ no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 no crank/ no start

2006 Ford F150 v6 4.2l manual Week ago I was driving, parked, and when I came back it wouldn't start, crank, or make any attempt. Lights work, radio works, dash worked but when turned the key just a click sound coming near the fuse box. Pushed it down a hill and pop started it, drove back home about 15 miles fine, parked on a hill so I could pop it the next day Next day pop started it and went to auto store with the engine running. When I went to drive back the engine stalled out on its own. Luckily in the parking lot i was able to push it enough to get it to start but within 2 minutes the dash turned off. Had no electronics and it stalled out again. I pushed it down a giant hill and tried releasing it in 2nd gear but no matter how many times it wouldn't pop again. I replaced the starter myself. Charged and checked the battery. Wire brushed and cleaned the terminals. Replaced the ignition coil. Even checked fuse 34 and the fuel pump module wires (saw couple of YT videos saying that can cause a no crank no start) and previous summer I did the sparkplugs. But after all of that it still only clicks when I try to start. I don't know what else to replace... does anyone have any idea at all what could stop it from starting? Not even a turn over, a cough, sputter, nothing. The lights don't dim. The radio turns off when turning the key like a normal start. The theft light doesn't blink anything abnormal. It seems like everything is good and normal but it just won't start! I've ran out of ideas and haven't the foggiest now. Thank you

Old 01-13-2021, 12:36 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Sounds like you need a new battery and possibly an alternator.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Battery was charged and tested good. Even if it is the alternator wouldn't I still be able to pop start it?

Old 01-13-2021, 12:54 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If possible, have someone hold the switch in the start position while checking the voltage at the battery and then at the starter. Maybe the cable is bad.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Even if it is the alternator wouldn't I still be able to pop start it?
That only would work until the battery went flat at which point nothing is going to work. There is no mention of attempting to start it that way after the battery was charged.

What is the EXACT source of the clicking you are hearing when you attempt to start it conventionally?

Old 01-13-2021, 02:57 PM
The clicking sounds like the relay from the fuse box on the passenger side floor

Old 01-13-2021, 03:57 PM
If the starter relay is CONFIRMED (not just "sounds like") to be what is clicking, then that eliminates everything that controls it. You're left with the power feed that goes through a fuse F101, through the relay (when energized), and to the starter motor where it is supposed to activate the solenoid to run the starter. Something in that path is open or the starter is bad.

Check the fuse. Crawl under there and inspect the wiring for corrosion or having rotted off the starter, that's pretty common.

After that, you'll need to make some voltage checks to see where the signal is getting lost.

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2021, 04:15 PM
I put a brand new starter in and didn't see anything wrong with the wire when I connected it. I can crawl back under and thoroughly inspect the whole line. And thank you for the fuse, I'll check that as well

Old 01-14-2021, 08:54 AM
Do not overlook the possibility that the replacement starter is a dud. I developed the habit years ago of having starters and alternators tested in the store before I paid for them. That has saved me several times from off-the-shelf duds.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 PM
In case anyone has followed this, I finally got my truck back from my mechanic, and the solution dumbfounded me.

My mechanic was stumped too, with power going everywhere where it needs to, but still no crank/no start.

The solution:
Corrosion on the starter mounting plate next to the transmission!! Not the wires, not the solenoid, but the mounting plate. It built up and took away the grounding from the starter!
once he found it, a scrap and a brush later, and the truck starts up no hesitation at all.

Its difficult to spot when you're crawling under laying on your back (like how I did it...) but if you have this same problem, just try to check this out.

Thank you to everyone who responded and helped me!

Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Sounds like you need a new battery and possibly an alternator.
Except you. You would've cost me hundreds extra more. Don't immediately suggest and say things when you don't know. 'Senior member' shame on you

Old 01-26-2021, 06:36 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Well, excuse me for trying to help. **** off. You COULD have just tested the battery and alternator to rule them out, you know. Excuse the hell out of me for forgetting to put the word MAY in.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:02 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Farrellbarrel
Except you. You would've cost me hundreds extra more. Don't immediately suggest and say things when you don't know. 'Senior member' shame on you
So you installed a new starter and didn't clean the rust off the mounting surfaces..... And you get pissy with someone who is only trying to help.... Maybe you should ask for a refund for all the money you paid for advice on this forum.

Quick Reply: 2006 no crank/ no start