2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 F150 5.4 stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 5.4 stalling out

Hello folks. I hope I'm doing this right. I'm a rookie at these forums. Anyways, I have a 2004 f150 5.4. The other day while driving the truck, I got stopped at a stop light. While waiting for the light to turn green, my truck started stalling out. Never did die but I thought it was going to. My check engine light came on and was flashing. I pulled the truck off to the side of the road, pushed on the gas pedal and it stopped and seemed to be running fine. I let it sit for a few days. Went to town about 3 days later and it done it again as I pulled back into the house. I noticed while it was doing it, my oil pressure guage would drop then go back to normal. It done this the whole time I let it sit and run. No change in sound in the motor while it was dropping and coming back up. It seems to only do this when it warms up. I've changed camshaft position sensors and didn't help. Someone told me to drain my oil and check for metal shavings. I did and there wasn't any. So, my problem is when my truck gets warm, my oil pressure guage bottoms out then go to normal and the truck tries to die. It hasn't yet, but it tries. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You probably need a timing job and new oil pump. If the oil pressure drops too low, the cam phasers don't work. Try using a heavier oil.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Does the engine run quietly with no loud clicking? If so, I think I would put a couple bottles of chevron techron in the gas and some seafoam or your engine cleaner of choice in the oil and clean the engine per the cleaner instructions. Then use some thicker oil.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'll add to what glc is stating. Use the heavier weight oil to find the problem. Using a heavier weight oil is not the solution/fix. If it helps, like glc states, then you'll need a timing job and new oil pump.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:33 PM
No it isn't quite. It's got the 5.4 tick in it. I've had the truck over a year now and its done it since I've owned the truck. But, it does seem a little louder now that this is going on.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:28 PM
glc
Are you prepared to spend $2000 for a full timing job and oil pump? Make sure this isn't happening:

Old 01-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace the VCT solenoids. If that doesn't help, then yeah, it's prolly time for the timing chain kit. May be just the oil pump, but at that point, may as well do the rest.

The following users liked this post:

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2021, 04:14 PM
That sucks and I feel your pain. I recently started another thread for my truck (2009) here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...94#post5266818

What started as an exhaust issue has turned into what seems to be a timing issue as well. I just ordered parts for mine and they should be here in the next week or so. I’ve decided to just replace as much as I can since I’m not exactly sure what is wrong and don’t want to have to take anything apart again anytime soon.

Best of luck to you and hope you can get it fixed right and not be out too much money!

Old 01-01-2021, 09:51 PM
I had the same problem

My stalling out manifested after driving for a few minutes at 50MPH and then coming to a stop the engine would run rough like a diesel and I could rev it up and it would start running normally.
Eventually I got camshaft position errors(Those never go out) and I could hear the passenger side timing chain slapping at idle.

I followed the Ford Tech Makuloco's 4 part series and replaced the Timing Chains, Phasers, Tensioners, Rockers, VVT, Water Pump(Since I was in there), Oil Pump(Melling H360HV of course)
At 180,000 miles it runs like a brand new truck. I recommend to not cheap out on the parts and do Motorcraft only parts, except for the oil pump.

A further note: Forscan should be able to tell you what is going on. If it's Cam Phasers they will be jumpin all over the place. Refer to Ford Tech Makuloco for what to look for.

Good luck!

-Marko-

Old 01-01-2021, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Markomyt1
My stalling out manifested after driving for a few minutes at 50MPH and then coming to a stop the engine would run rough like a diesel and I could rev it up and it would start running normally.
Eventually I got camshaft position errors(Those never go out) and I could hear the passenger side timing chain slapping at idle.

I followed the Ford Tech Makuloco's 4 part series and replaced the Timing Chains, Phasers, Tensioners, Rockers, VVT, Water Pump(Since I was in there), Oil Pump(Melling H360HV of course)
At 180,000 miles it runs like a brand new truck. I recommend to not cheap out on the parts and do Motorcraft only parts, except for the oil pump.

A further note: Forscan should be able to tell you what is going on. If it's Cam Phasers they will be jumpin all over the place. Refer to Ford Tech Makuloco for what to look for.

Good luck!

-Marko-
Hey Marko, if you don't mind me asking, about how much did that run you to place all that?

Old 01-21-2021, 05:58 PM
Marko, I’m in the middle of an 07 F150 5.4 3v and I also followed Brian’s video on doing the timing chain job. After putting the engine back together, it would idle like a new one but when I drove out it ran fine down the road until you come to a stop. It would go into a really rough idle but if I rev the engine it would clear up and go back to a smooth idle. If I let it continue, it would usually die. The only code that I get running a KOEO or a KOER is a P1000 ( Drive Cycles). I was wondering if you had any issues or codes that might allow for a very low idle when you first started after the timing job? My idle will drop down to 525 to 550 when I stop. When I rev the engine, the idle comes back to 625 to 650. I have gone to winding butt and scratching watch! Any ideas are appreciated!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM
glc
Did you replace the oil pump? What weight oil are you using?

Old 01-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Oil Pressure or phaser issue

Originally Posted by Saks Ranch
Marko, I’m in the middle of an 07 F150 5.4 3v and I also followed Brian’s video on doing the timing chain job. After putting the engine back together, it would idle like a new one but when I drove out it ran fine down the road until you come to a stop. It would go into a really rough idle but if I rev the engine it would clear up and go back to a smooth idle. If I let it continue, it would usually die. The only code that I get running a KOEO or a KOER is a P1000 ( Drive Cycles). I was wondering if you had any issues or codes that might allow for a very low idle when you first started after the timing job? My idle will drop down to 525 to 550 when I stop. When I rev the engine, the idle comes back to 625 to 650. I have gone to winding butt and scratching watch! Any ideas are appreciated!
This is what my engine was doing BEFORE I did the work.
What causes this is that the valves get into "Advance" and if the phasers don't go back to zero advance then your engine runs rough.
I would do the same thing to get it to idle smoothly.
AFTER doing the work and replacing the phasers, VCT Solenoids and oil pump it runs smoothly now.

Did you replace everything AND use FORD parts?

-Marko--

Old 01-25-2021, 01:04 PM
JTackett - Sorry, I missed your question about the cost for this.
I believe it was around $1,200

Here is the list:

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Following Ford Tech Makuloco's advice, these are all Ford parts.
I included the special Tools that are required as well.

Last edited by Markomyt1; 01-25-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 5.4 stalling out