2004 - 2008 F-150

Temp relocation of heater core to get some heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp relocation of heater core to get some heat

Long story short the engine went o my 07 4.6 f150, everything is good now but the heater core is done. Its currently setup on bypass but due to lack of time and the mentality on not paying somebody for a job that I can due myself...especially an expensive one has left me in a jam where I need to use my truck but can't cuz lack of heat/defrost.
I tried an electric heater that plugs into The lighter but the problem is there's not enough heat to defrost and it draws from the alternator and battery leaving me dead.
I was thinking of running 2 hoses to where the recirc vent is and temp mounting the core there until I get time to do it properly.
What do u guys think? Is there enough intake from the recirc vent to heat and defrost the cab? I still have the tire well removed from doing the engine swap so finding and drilling an entrance for the hoses in a safe location should be ez. I was planning on wiring a valve(s) so it stays in bypass until recirc is selected. It should work but that depends on the suction of the recirc >

what do the great minds of f150online think?
Ps; only the great minds reply please...lol just kidding, the dumb guys can reply too.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
What are you doing to Duct the hot air to the windshield for Defrost?
Fan and speed control to push the heat around etc.?
Fan motors take a lot of power on high.
Lower setting uses a cooled resistor in the intake air flow/
You have a lot to think about.
Fix it right now while the weather is still decent.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
What are you doing to Duct the hot air to the windshield for Defrost?
Fan and speed control to push the heat around etc.?
Fan motors take a lot of power on high.
Lower setting uses a cooled resistor in the intake air flow/
You have a lot to think about.
Fix it right now while the weather is still decent.
the cabin recirculate mode intake on the cabins passenger side, recirculates cabin air instead of exterior right? mount it right in front of the recirc intake, same flow as drawing in outside air except it pulls it in from the cabin. Same thing happens when you put on max ac, reicirculates already cooler air inside the cabin except of trying to cool warmer air from outside.
why wouldn't this work? already tested the exterior intake while in recirc defrost with a smoke bomb and nothing enters....unless something else is wrong lol

Old 11-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Your scheme will likely work if you can get it rigged up. Just be aware that you're going to have a 200 degree object with 200 degree coolant circulating outside its expected location so take the necessary precautions to prevent personal injury.

Quick Reply: Temp relocation of heater core to get some heat