2004 - 2008 F-150

Please help! Drivers timing chain won't stay tight

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help! Drivers timing chain won't stay tight

I have a 04 F150 with a 5.4 3v engine. I have had to do the chain guides etc in the past, at that time I put in a ford racing HV oil pump along with a new cloyes timing kit. I also locked out the phasers. That was about two years ago and recently it started getting a rattle at warm idle. I am pretty sure I hear chain rattle on hard acceleration. I have taken it apart three times this past weekend. First installing everything new on the drivers side, then everything timing related under the front cover including another tensioner. Each time I take it apart the chain is loose on the driver's side guide. When I first fire it up cold has about 90psi oil pressure and as it gets warm and drops the rattle start at about 60psi. I did remove a couple cam caps and you can see some wear,but nothing that really catches your fingernail when dragged across it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The mechanics in the know only recommend Ford parts when it comes to the timing chain/parts.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the gasket good under the tensioner?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What tensioners are you using? I've been installing the 2v style ones on any of the timing jobs I've done lately. Have also heard the cloyes kits aren't good. Would stick to ford parts for sure.

Quick Reply: Please help! Drivers timing chain won't stay tight