2004 - 2008 F-150

'08 F150 unknown airbag code

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 F150 unknown airbag code

I have owned a 2008 F-150 for all 10 years of its life, on 10/2017 I had a code 19 and the air bag light was flashing, I took it to the local dealer and they replaced the clock spring. Very expensive. Now still it gives me 5 beeps and flashes, 5 times with a pause in between (A total of 25 beeps). I can’t find a code 5, 25, or 55 or whatever that will explain what’s wrong with the airbag, if anything at all.

After taking the pickup to 2 different dealers they said that there is no error or problem, but the code keeps coming on.

Can anyone help?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You'd find that in your ownr's manual.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Your passenger airbag off light is probably burned out.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:12 PM
I appreciate your suggestions but I couldn’t find anything related in the owner’s manual, and the pass airbag light seems ok, it goes on at start, and off when somebody sits on it. The truck spent 2 nights in 2 different dealers and according to them no error was found, but they still charged me for the diagnostic.

When I took the truck for transmission service to an independent mechanic, they found a code B1869, and advised i take it to a dealer, I did that, and they still haven’t found the solution.
Are Ford technicians unqualified or properly trained? Could be, but on both dealers?

I took the truck on a 100 mile trip yesterday and it ran smoothly the way to my destination but the code was beeping the whole way back. If there was something seriously wrong wouldn’t it beep consistently the whole way?

I appreciate all the help I can get to solve this issue.Thanks

Old 12-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
B1869 Ford Description The air bag indicator is designed to illuminate for 6 (±2) seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. This initial 6 seconds of illumination is considered normal operation and is called Prove-Out of the air bag indicator. The air bag indicator is then used to warn the driver that there is a fault in the air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) . The air bag Restraint Control Module (RCM) module monitors the air bag indicator for open and short to ground conditions. If the ECS detects an open or short to ground condition on the air bag indicator circuit, it will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1869 in memory. If the RCM detects an air bag indicator failure in addition to another SRS failure, the RCM will send a signal to the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) module to produce five sets of five tone bursts.

With that being said, you said the passenger side airbag light lights up -- basically "seems OK". Doesn't mean that it's OK. I would remove the trim piece and check for pinched or scraped up wires going to the that light. Also, carefully check the connector.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
.. but I couldn’t find anything related in the owner’s manual,
Keep reading. Try the section on the air bags. Read the WHOLE thing.
pass airbag light seems ok
Wrong light. You need to look at the one in the cluster.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM
The airbag light in the cluster seems ok, it turns on when I turn on the truck and shuts off after a few seconds. The code starts sometimes while I'm driving, and it may only once or it will repeat itself multiple times, the same goes for the light, they will stay on after the code starts and will both turn off only when I turn the truck off.

Quick Reply: '08 F150 unknown airbag code