2004 - 2008 F-150

Motor Swaps in CA??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor Swaps in CA??

I just posted another thread about doing a Raptor conversion on my truck, and if I go that route I plan to keep the truck for quite some time. While I don't have any motor issues as of yet, I know that one day I will have to face the issue of high mileage.

I would like to do a complete motor swap, but it will need to be something that is smog legal. My first choice would be a newer 5.0, but I have read that it is quite involved. So my next thought would be another 5.4 with a 50 state legal blower.

If you were in my position and needed a new engine in CA, what would you do?

...please don't say buy a new truck

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
good luck, you are literally in the most restrictive place to do anything like that.your not close enough to think about the classic tag rabbit hole so here it goes......
(nevada is just about as bad so this is where most of my info is coming from) but i know if it was not a offered motor in that year of your vehicle they will shut you down before you start with any motor swap. when you go in for smog and the motor is not matching the vin tag you will be sent to the state inspector.

the guys at the smog shops are not the brightest but i would bet they would notice on a common vehicle they are familiar with and its a popular truck.

so the 5.0 is out,
now say you got a 5.4...... the tune will be a hard search as cali is on a roll suing anyone they can shake a dollar out of for violating the carb act. then if you ever sell it your on the hook if the next guy gets caught. the blower itself if you find a 50 state legal one it would be the best option.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 05-01-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Thanks...and you are correct, CA sucks for mods.

I'm not looking to roll the dice with any kind of "hook ups"...or having to cross my fingers during a smog test.

I was thinking a replacement 5.4 with the known bugs worked out (if that exists) and a 50 state legal blower.

I think that it is legal...it used to be...to replace a motor with one from a newer vehicle as long as it passes a referee inspection. I'm not sure of all of the specifics.

Is there an engine package used in a special production F150 that I should look into?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Edelbrock makes a carb compliance supercharger kit. Would be the least dramatic way to get more power.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 05-03-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My best suggestion is to get a Lightning engine with all the bits and make it work with your current setup. That also includes the transmission.

If you do it right, you'll be smog legal and it will be pretty bullet proof.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:44 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That would not be smog legal. The Lightning is a 2 valve.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by glc
That would not be smog legal. The Lightning is a 2 valve.
and an older engine than my model year...

Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Has anyone managed to work out the inherent weaknesses in these 5.4's, and sells a good replacement engine?

I'm thinking with the relatively low boost numbers a smog legal blower kit will put out that a stock engine should suffice???

Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The major flaws in the 3v 5.4 are the sticking and breaking plugs, and the cam phasers. Get a new engine with the 08 and later heads and you solve the plug issue. Phaser lock outs solves the other. The rest is a good solid modular engine. Also if you plan on putting on a belt driven blower, a billet oil pump gear set and a billet cam drive sprocket is cheap insurance. The factory stuff is made out of the same compressed powdered metal that ford makes the rods out of. The belt driven blower adds more stress and alters the harmonics on the front of the crank and that can fracture the pump gears and /or the cam sprocket at higher power levels. The problem wasn't discovered until people began boosting coyotes and started to exceed the failure point of these parts.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Better get hold of the state law and read it, understand it first.
Then if your engineer enough to do it?
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Motor Swaps in CA??