2004 - 2008 F-150

Need help after cam phaser replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help after cam phaser replacement.

hello all, long story short, replaced my phasers last night. and added new VCT sensors. after replacement and oil change (added slightly thicker oil), it idles fine, no more diesel noise, and just a slight tick. went to leave my friends and started down the road and there was a heavy lag in acceleration, feels like multiple misfires, and it doesnt respond as it should, even when it was floored, it feels very held back. took it back to my buddies and we looked at everything and it all appears to be plugged in just fine. we had to disconnect the battery and 2/3 ECU plug ins while removing the pass side valve cover, and we unplugged everything on the top end as well. my question is this: is it possible I got a bad phaser? or is it more likely that while during the reassembly process, we mixed something up, or a sensor just decided to stop (throttle body, MAF??) truck has 180k on it and did not have this issue before phaser replacement and i am 99% we matched up the timing chain where it was supposed to be. I could really use some input, and appreciate all the help. thank you!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mil light on? did you replace the cam sensors on the front or the control solenoids in the valve cover? did you take off the front cover or just the valve cover?
if something is not connected it should throw the mil light but there are some things that dont always trigger it right away. first i would hook up a scanner and see if there are pending codes. that will point you in the right direction. i pulled mine off last week and locked them out without issue. your slight tick is probably the injectors they are very loud.

sounds like you managed to put the truck into limp mode trying to protect itself. double check all your connections if the scanner yields nothing.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 03-13-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing messed up? Any update on this?

Quick Reply: Need help after cam phaser replacement.