2004 - 2008 F-150

Phaser lock outs installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
I know, I have monitored variable cam operation extensively with Torque Pro. https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

I believe everything you said is basically true, but still doesn't answer the question - and raises others.

What happens to that extra torque in those other driving conditions when it is not demanded or needed by the driver? It is true, most (light load) driving conditions employ some varying degree of retard. BUT Properly functioning phasers even apply some increasing degrees of retard under high load conditions as RPMs begin to rise above about 4,000 rpm. (to add high end torque).

But: How does locking phasers at full advance produce more torque OVER properly functioning phasers? - which will position cams at full advance at the proper time for delivery of best torque?
i would imagine because there is no situation where its trying to curb the cam timing. oem has other agendas, gas mileage emission compliance ext. i dont. frankly i was surprised my self driving it around after locking them out with no tune. cant give you much more than that but if your in vegas i will gladly let you drive it.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM
dont hold your breath on it as im months out from another session, when i bolt my v down to the dyno this fall i will have them strap the truck down just for the hell of it.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Like I said before, I know nothing about VCT. But, when manufacturers started looking at ways to reduce emissions, they started retarding cam timing. One old hot rodder trick was to change the cam gear to advance the cam to gain high end hp. As I remember. You could buy those cam gears at places like Summit.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Like I said before, I know nothing about VCT. But, when manufacturers started looking at ways to reduce emissions, they started retarding cam timing. One old hot rodder trick was to change the cam gear to advance the cam to gain high end hp. As I remember. You could buy those cam gears at places like Summit.
Pretty much, cams are retarded to shift the power band and maximize high rpm hp. (What's the redline 5200 lol)

The adjustability of the vct gives them the ability to adjust and account for many things and emissions have been a big problem for a long time(gas guzzler tax started in '78) and a huge part of the reason ford put its chips in the eco boost basket.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
ford put its chips in the eco boost basket.

... and put FOUR of those worthless phasers on it.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Worthless correct! Don't have to convince me of that, not a ford fan this is my beater vehicle.

Take it for what you want I really don't care if you like my results or not. It is what it is. Any one of you is welcome to come take it for a drive.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 03-21-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
VCT is like most "improvements". If it works reliably, it's a great thing. But the more complex anything is the more likely there will be extra problems. Hey, I remember when Chevy six cylinder engines needed rebuilding by 60k miles! They didn't have no stinking cam phasors!

Quick Reply: Phaser lock outs installed!