Question about possible steering rack damage.. - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Question about possible steering rack damage.. > Question about possible steering rack damage..
2004 - 2008 F-150
Presented by the all-new Yokohama
Presented by the all-new Yokohama

Question about possible steering rack damage..

Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Question about possible steering rack damage..

Hey guys, I had a lower PS return line leak, so in the process of replacing it, I also ruined the upper pressure PS line, where they attach to the rack.

I got the lower one out easily, but the upper one would not come out at all. It broke off flush with the rack, and I even threaded a tap into it which also snapped off flush in it. lol

Anyway, the only option I had was to take the whole rack out so I could get the tap out hopefully, and the remainder of the line.

My question is, while I was removing the lower steering shaft, I had to turn the wheel sometimes to get to the bolts. When I was turning it one time (it was really hard to turn, since 1- there's no power steering now, and 2- I didn't jack up the truck so the tires were still on the ground, making it very hard to turn manually.. I know, stupid of me), it felt like something 'stripped', like it was really hard and then all of a sudden the wheel was really easy to turn for a 1/4 turn or whatever it was.

Could I really have damaged the internal gears of the rack just by turning it like that a couple times? Mind you, this rack was absolutely perfect before this, no noises or anything, just like new. I'd hate to get all these new PS lines installed, re-install the rack, shaft, etc, and then come to find out that I damaged it and have to do everything all over again.

Any thoughts? Could I really have damaged it that easily?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2017, 01:55 AM
Anyone have any input? Is there any way I could check if there was damage to the gears inside?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by shibby2 View Post
...Could I really have damaged it that easily?...
Yes.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Good to hear. lol

So what would you do? Put this rack back in, or just get new/reman and not take any chances?

Search this Thread