2004 - 2008 F-150

Has anyone Plasti Dip a whole vehicle?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Has anyone Plasti Dip a whole vehicle?!?

I'm looking for pics and advice.

I'm planning on doing whole truck flat white with possibly a pearl.
Getting tired of the Pull-me-over red. My clear coat is shot and I got some door dings I want covered.

My game plan is get a Wagner Double Duty or Earlex/Graco 3500. I was leaning toward the hand held ( 1/2 price) but the weight and buzzing prolly gets annoying. In addition, DYC Sold the Wagner but later got sent a cease and desist order claiming the Wagner was a fire hazard using the low? flash point of Plasti Dip, worse then gasoline. They deleted all of the YouTube videos.

I'm planing on getting 3 gallons unthinned, then mixing 50% xylene. So 6 gallons total. Unsure about the last coats of pearl. Something called balloon pearl or I'm thinking red/blue pearl. No glossifier.

Total cost is gonna be around $400.

Question comments welcomed!
I'll keep ya posted

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-24-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:36 PM

That's the the fonzie dipping an Audi using the Wagner double duty. You can pick them up for $70.

im thinking I might do two gallons unthinned and gallon of matte clear for the pearl or metallizer.

Five total Gallons should be good. I'm not painting roof or half of tailgate.

Here's the effect I'm going for..

Pearl white<br/>

Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 PM
just get the diy kit dipyourcar sells, they will be the most knowledgeable about what base coat and how many grams of pearls you'll need for however many gallons your truck will need. Or see if you have a local DYC approved installer.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the purpose of Plasti Dip? I would use it for undercoating.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kellsey
What's the purpose of Plasti Dip? I would use it for undercoating.
Originally it was meant to dip tool handles and such.

You can easily and cost effectively change the color of your truck. But bring it back to stock if you want. Nice if you want a flat or matte finish. It's very forgiving.

I would not use it for undercoating as it is meant to be removable/peel able. Great for blacking out trim or emblems.

For undercoating you want that stuff neutralizes the rust. You can paint right over the rust with no prep.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM
I've seen people just paint over Windows and headlights while painting with plasti dip no problem.

It's also nice because you don't need a $500'air compressor like conventional paint.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by coobies5
just get the diy kit dipyourcar sells, they will be the most knowledgeable about what base coat and how many grams of pearls you'll need for however many gallons your truck will need. Or see if you have a local DYC approved installer.
Solid advice. I have auto body training and enjoy learning new stuff. I just recently shaved my tailgate and cut the rust out from my wheel wells.

A kit, that's too easy. I've been lurking on the dipyourcar forums. Apparently their is several ways to go about adding the pearl.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:52 AM
The kit comes with everything you need minus the air compressor I believe. My gf was curious how much it would be to do her 2013 accord and she called dyc and one of the reps said a kit for her car would be about $400-500 or she could go to a local dyc installer and they could do it for about $400-500 and it's warrantied work and should last about 3 years.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should do a search about the "going back to the stock color"

not all magical stories!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:41 PM
No the kits come with same guns I mentioned. No need for a compressor. Depending on how good it comes out I wanna do my fiancée s solara in a chameleon pearl. Like this
http://forum.dipyourcar.com/showthre...ip-2007-Solara

I find it hard to believe the install is the same price as materials -minus the gun.

Those horror stories are most likely from from not using enough paint or a knock off brand like elasti dip. For example ,my truck calls for 5-6 Gallons! That's a lot of paint. The dip needs to be at least 10mils thick. Even if you have good coverage, it's not good enough...

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM
That's what she was quoted, for it to be done at pearls and pigments here in houston. I thought it was strange too, but that's what they said.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
That's what she was quoted, for it to be done at pearls and pigments here in houston. I thought it was strange too, but that's what they said.
I priced a kit out on DYC and it was around $500. Maybe I should get a estimate. I don't see any certified dealers in my TN GA area though.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 PM
If you're on "the facebook", there's a group called Dippers Anonymous which is full of enthusiasts and I believe Fonzie is the actual admin/moderator on there. You should be able to post and find out if there are any authorized dealers nearby that may not be listed yet, or are in the works to be authorized.

Quick Reply: Has anyone Plasti Dip a whole vehicle?!?