2004 - 2008 F-150

Araparts COPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Early on, MSD and Granitelli coils had a lot of failures. Possibly that has been corrected, but if I were buying, I would go with something else.
I don't need COP's yet, but if I did for the price I'd try the MSD's and buy them from Amazon. They'll take them back if they suck, good return service.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The Delphis at $125 are a no brainer - don't even screw with MSD or Granatelli.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I of course, concur!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Forgot to post this.
This is a picture of the araparts, delphi and motorcraft cop's. You can see what I was talking about on the araparts cop with the spring recessed back about 5/8" They were all like that out of the box.
I did stretch the springs out flush with the ends to make sure they were making good contact and that did not help at all as the misfires continued to get worse.

Araparts cop on the left, Delphi in the middle and motorcraft on the right
The Delphi's are visibly identical to the motorcrafts and so far have been great.

Name:  20160318_170901_zpsnm9xumyc.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  187.2 KB

Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Either I have the worse luck ever or something more serious than a misfire caused by a cop.
Today I took a 3 hour round trip up over some steep passes. It's the first time ive been able to push the truck hard with the new delphi cops. Everything went great. Truck ran as good as new without a single hiccup. On my way home, last stop for some ice cream just a few blocks from my house... as soon as I accelerated to turn onto the main street the truck just fell on it's face with a heavy misfire. Barely holding an idle at the stop light. Limped it home. where it would barely idle in the driveway it was stumbling so bad.

Here's the weird part. I shut it off and started it back up just 2 seconds later and no misfire. Took it around the block and ran great again. WTH would cause something like that. Couldn't get it to throw a CEL either. Wondering if it's an electrical issue. Not sure if this is related but right before It started to misfire, a good song came on the radio and I cranked it up pretty loud. I have a sub and amp which at high volume dims my lights so it could have put some stress on the electrical system. I'm at a loss here. Could it possibly be a bad cop? What are the odds. Motorcraft plugs only have maybe 30k on them.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would pull the plugs and see what they look like. You might have 1 cylinder that is burning a little funky (technical term).

Also might want to check the EGR for debris.

Both are just a guess. Hell I don't even know if an 07 even has an EGR!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Had a low grade misfire over the last week and with mileage nearing 125k I figured it was time for a cop change. Plugs were properly changed last year with motorcrafts. I decided to go the cheap route on cops being I'm considering trading the truck in soon.

Went with Araparts cops off amazon. Everything done proper, no short cuts on the install. Cleaned everything up, blew all the plug wells out, greased the boot ends with the provided grease. After a short drive, I wouldnt say there is a noticeable studder/misfire but there seems to be a hesitation and slight power loss. After a few miles and reaching operating temps I headed home. That's when I noticed the rotten egg smell. I'm pretty sure that is going to be related to what I was sensing. No CEL, but I'm sure it's got a misfire if not a few.

Something I did notice with the araparts cops compared to the motorcrafts that came out are that the springs are recessed back from the boot ends by a good half inch on the araparts. The motorcraft cop springs sit near flush with the boot ends. I figured maybe the motorcraft springs are just worn and hang down further but after some research, I believe they come that way new. When I was installing the araparts I tried to get a feel for how far the boot seats over the plug... it seems like its about a half inch. I guess the question I have is whether it's possible the springs are not quite getting a good seat on the plug. Considering pulling them all and stretching the springs a bit bringing them out a little more??

Otherwise, I guess I run her until I figure out which cylinders are misfiring and send them back. For now, with the short drive I took, I'm certain there is an issue with them. The power loss and smell of raw fuel washing down the cats.
Hello, and sorry for such a late response. It's been a while since I've logged in here, and wanted to touch base.

The springs on the coils won't affect the performance. What most likely happened is some of the coils were defective. Did you get a chance to contact us about it? We are always happy to either refund or replace the bad ones, and I do apologize about the inconvenience.

I spent some time surfing the forums, and I noticed one thing that I never got to mention. The coils we sell on Ebay an Amazon are not the same as the coils we sell on our website araparts (dot) com. We have 2 different suppliers. The coils we sell on Ebay and Amazon are good, and we keep them under a 3% defect rate, but the coils on the website are much better. The coils are priced much lower on Ebay and Amazon because interest on Ebay and Amazon falls off sharply with even a $5 price change, so we can't sell the same coils we offer on our website because the cost if higher. However, they are definitely much better then the $40 set of 8 coils. A lot of those don't even have the ferrite inside of the springs. We've been trying to transition over to selling one grade of product, but it's difficult to do on Ebay and Amazon because the pricing and competition difficulties. Believe it or not, we've had people tell us that we're too expensive. Also, defects tend to be in batch. We can sell 10-15 sets of 8 with no issues, and one person can have 3 bad coils, and of course we replace them (or refund) for free.

Since I am not a vendor here, I can't advertise it in a topic of my own, but the coils we sell directly on our website are not the same as the ones on Amazon. They ones on our website are actually better. The defect rate is in the 0.00xx% range (currently 4 out of 10,000 plus), but they are priced slightly higher at 97.99 for the set of 8 (M103 for the 3v 5.4l).

Once again I am sorry for the trouble. If you haven't contacted us, please do at info@araparts.com or through Amazon as well. I'd be happy to make this right.

David

Last edited by David Aragon; 07-11-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Araparts COPS