2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4 3 valve running like garbage.. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 3 valve running like garbage.. HELP!

So i have a 06 f150 with the 5.4 3 valve that i recently replaced the two timing chain tensioners, chains, water pump,vct solenoids on. It was running fine when i replaced the tensioners besides a noise from the chains slapping around inside the timing cover. Found the 2 tensioners blown out and replaced them. Put it all back together to find the truck running like absolute garbage. Random misfire codes, timing over retarded codes, crank/cam sensor correlation codes. So i pulled it all apart again and checked timing (re-timed it) put it back together and same thing.. Runs like garbage. Took it to the dealership and had them do a diagnostic on it for them to call me and tell me they cant get past the cam sensor code and need to go further into it for an extra $625. Basically told them to shove it and got the truck towed back home. Im not about to spend approx $1000 just for them to tell me what it is. Hoping someone on here has some insight for me. Im thinking cam phaser or bent valve? The dealership did find the fuel module basically cracked in half but say thats not the problem. Plugs were changed about 25k ago. (7 of 8 broke and extracted using the lisle tool.) could this be a cam position sensor? Or is it possible that the cam phasers are toast? Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:48 AM
A few common mistakes timing the 5.4: re-installing the crank position ring the wrong way out, and timing the phasers 180 deg. out ("L" is the driver's side, "R" is the passenger's). Also, even though they are new, it is possible to have a bad VCT solenoid. What brand are they? This will only make one bank run rough though, easily checked by swapping the solenoids bank to bank.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by EBC-150
A few common mistakes timing the 5.4: re-installing the crank position ring the wrong way out, and timing the phasers 180 deg. out ("L" is the driver's side, "R" is the passenger's). Also, even though they are new, it is possible to have a bad VCT solenoid. What brand are they? This will only make one bank run rough though, easily checked by swapping the solenoids bank to bank.
Thanks for the reply. The timing is done correctly, L and R are on correct sides, the crank position ring is facing with the word "front" facing forward. I got the vct solenoids from autozone. I believe duralast or dorman. Both banks seem to be running rough. Im getting a new fuel pump driver module from a friend that has a brand new one for $30. That shouldnt make it run like this though correct? The vct solenoids would make it sound like a diesel if im correct on that. There is very little power when pushing the throttle to move the truck. (Almost to the floor to get it out of the grass) im beyond stumped on this and beginning to think its something along the lines of phasers or bent valve. Any other ideas?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Was it timed correctly the first time? If not, valves could have been damaged? It would be some trouble but a compression test would tell you a lot

Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM
A bad VCT solenoid will give you all kinds of codes, from timing (over retarded), to Bank 1(or 2) over lean, to random misfires of multiple cylinders, and make you engine run extremely rough. Been there done that!!! It took me a bit of chasing to find that out on my rig. I couldn't believe it was the solenoid, because it was a brand new Motorcraft, but sh*t happens, and I had all new timing, phasers, solenoids, oil pump, plugs, cops, etc. at the time. Trust me, look into the solenoids. When malfunctioning, they can do more than make it sound like a diesel!

Last edited by EBC-150; 02-01-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by EBC-150
A bad VCT solenoid will give you all kinds of codes, from timing (over retarded), to Bank 1(or 2) over lean, to random misfires of multiple cylinders, and make you engine run extremely rough. Been there done that!!! It took me a bit of chasing to find that out on my rig. I couldn't believe it was the solenoid, because it was a brand new Motorcraft, but sh*t happens, and I had all new timing, phasers, solenoids, oil pump, plugs, cops, etc. at the time. Trust me, look into the solenoids. When malfunctioning, they can do more than make it sound like a diesel!
Is there a way to test the solenoids? Ill for sure test them before buying new phasers.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 AM
So i started the truck up the other day to get codes and see whats up... It sounds terrible. I hear a sound of something bouncing around in the timing cover (maybe broken guide?).
P0340 cps "a" circuit bank2
P0345 cps "a" circuit bank 1 or single sensor
P0349cps a circuit intermittent
Pz197 02 sensor signal stuck lean
Those are the only codes its throwing. Im so confused....

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 AM
Anyone? Any input? Idles at around 1000 when cold and shakes a bit... Drops down to 500-600 when warm and pops and shakes alot. Random loud pop from exhaust

Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
sounds like you need to start taking it apart again.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Andy Knitter
So i started the truck up the other day to get codes and see whats up... It sounds terrible. I hear a sound of something bouncing around in the timing cover (maybe broken guide?).
P0340 cps "a" circuit bank2
P0345 cps "a" circuit bank 1 or single sensor
P0349cps a circuit intermittent
Pz197 02 sensor signal stuck lean
Those are the only codes its throwing. Im so confused....
Maybe your cam phasers are bad they will throw all kinds codes

Quick Reply: 5.4 3 valve running like garbage.. HELP!