2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 5.4 Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4 Tick

Hey all. I recorded a video of a tick my truck started doing. I thought it was exhaust manifold and found a broken stud. I replaced the manifolds with JBA Shorty Headers and the tick noise is still there. In the video it sounds almost like a diesel but not really in person. The tick that started is much louder. The diesel sounds seem to be cam phasers, but like I said, it doesn't really sound that way in person. I unplugged each spark plug and injector one at a time and the sound never changed. It comes from the driver side of the engine, mostly from the bottom and the speed increases with with RPM until about 1,800 and then it can't be heard anymore. It tickes from the second you start it, until you turn it off. Hot or cold doesn't matter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:55 PM
My truck is making the same noise but its shaking like crazy. Does your truck shake?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Ticking is more than likely cam phaser. Cam phaser usually goes bad because the timing chain tensioner seal leaks and starves the top end of the motor of oil pressure. What is the mileage? Have the timing chain guides, tensioners, phasers, vcts ever been done before? Best course of action is measure oil pressure with a mechanical gauge at both cold and hot engine temp. Than if that passes you can take a cam journal off the passenger side and see if those are damaged from low oil pressure. If that passes you can dig farther. Check the chain guides. If the guides are broken the pieces are in the oil pan probably blocking the oil pickup. Than because you now have it apart you might as well replace the timing chain tensioners, the phasers, the timing chain, and the vcts. Buy Ford parts. Made in China Dorman are crap and if you don't want to do all this work again in 15,000 miles buy the Ford parts.

Last edited by MarkFJ40; 04-03-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Mine doesn't shake no, but the tick is still there. Hasn't changed any. I haven't dug any farther on it and am just living with the noise. Shaking I would say you have a bag plug or coil or something along those lines. What year, how many miles and have the plugs been done yet?

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 Tick