2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck Died While Driving, Now It Won't Start, PCM Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Died While Driving, Now It Won't Start, PCM Issue???

Truck is an 07 F150 Fx4 5.4L 3v

I seem to have a complicated issue with my truck, I was driving home last night and the truck started loosing fuel pressure, every time I pressed on the gas pedal it bogged the truck right out until it eventually died. It started up (roughly ) so I tried getting a little further because I was almost home but than it would do the same thing, Eventually it wouldn't even try and crank over and not because of a dead battery. I have a brand new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pump control module, alternator, battery, timing belt, electric fan kit, underdrive pulley kit, intake manifold, injectors, plug coils and spark plugs so it shouldn't be any of those. I have however, an edge evolution programmer which I have been screwing around with in and out of tunes, customizing them myself and what not for the past three years and have read on other forums that it might have fried my PCM. I believe this could be the issue because last night when the truck died, it wouldn't even crank and the edge would show an error code "ECM NOT LOCATED", but even weirder is that I went to try and start it for fun today and it would actually find the ecm and try to crank over but it showed only .05 fuel pressure. Strange because I have all of those new parts on it, all the fuses checked out good and I did the fuel pump reset multiple times. I am completely stumped, the only thing that sounds reasonable to me is the PCM itself is toast.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Charge the battery fully and hook up the Edge. If it communicates, return the tune to STOCK.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Also, my engine is misfiring randomly in all 8 cylinders which has been going on for months...I discovered this using a snap on scan tool to diagnose the rough running situation but still doesn't explain why the edge can't find the ecm

Last edited by country-dan; 08-10-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Charge the battery fully and hook up the Edge. If it communicates, return the tune to STOCK.
My edge programmer is already on stock I just use it for monitoring lately because the truck does something very strange like bog heavily with a dirty low growl when I accelerate and that's with a custom tune from power hungry performance. Also I work at a shop and had the charger on it today and it reads again "ECM not located" on the edge.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Your battery is dead. That's why nothing is working right now. Until the battery is charged, any testing you try to do, including with the Edge which CANNOT connect to a vehicle with a dead battery, is invalid and a waste of time.

Perhaps your charging system has been failing and the system has been running at reduced voltage for some time which can cause some rather non-intuitive issues.

Get the battery FULLY charged, then evaluate the charging system before doing ANYTHING else, including any reprogramming of the PCM.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-11-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 PM
With battery fully charged it seems to have resolved the no communication issue with the ECM, however, I am still having certain issues such as "Unable to complete onboard diagnostics test" errors showing up on my edge.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Not particularly interested in the Edge. What about the truck itself?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Truck has randomly started to crank and actually fired up, no idea what the cause is or was....however, now im dealing with misfiring in all cylinders at random times and i have new motorcraft spark plugs and accel coils installed.

Last edited by country-dan; 08-11-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Did you have the charging system evaluated (by someone who knows what they're doing) as recommended?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Accel coils are junk
Global coils are junk

Use only Motorcraft or be prepared to have more issues

Quick Reply: Truck Died While Driving, Now It Won't Start, PCM Issue???