2004 - 2008 F-150

coil to plug fitment???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coil to plug fitment???

I'm in the process of changing the plugs on my wifes 2006 F150 5.4. I have the plugs changed on the passenger side and was preparing to re-install the COPs. But when I test fitted the old COP to both an old and a new plug I notices it was simply a slip fit. Not a "snap" fit like I was used to with the regular plug wires. How tight should the spring really be on the top of the plugs?? I'm going to go ahead and finish the drivers side plugs then check back here.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by marknmelb
I'm in the process of changing the plugs on my wifes 2006 F150 5.4. I have the plugs changed on the passenger side and was preparing to re-install the COPs. But when I test fitted the old COP to both an old and a new plug I notices it was simply a slip fit. Not a "snap" fit like I was used to with the regular plug wires. How tight should the spring really be on the top of the plugs?? I'm going to go ahead and finish the drivers side plugs then check back here.
Hey.

Snug, slip-fit - little 'snap'. It's a wound spring, not a solid band of spring steel....

ALWAYS use NEW Boots (with New spring connectors in them ).

Napa sell Belden boots fer ~$5/each, or you can go with OEM fer >$6/each. Either will do the job; both are very high quality.

ALWAYS apply dielectric properly.

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5113625

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-11-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info. NAPA closed on Sundays here. But Advance and O'reilly have the Autolite and BWD in stock for 7.99/ea.

BTW - I was 8 for 8 on plug removal. NO broken plugs They also looked VERY clean for 123k on them. I ran 3 cans of Seafoam wit a lot of highway miles on those tanks. Used a low torque impact wrench on a cold motor. So now I can send the Lisle tool back to Summit

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hey.

Snug, slip-fit - little 'snap'. It's a wound spring, not a solid band of spring steel....

ALWAYS use NEW Boots (with New spring connectors in them ).

Napa sell Belden boots fer ~$5/each, or you can go with OEM fer >$6/each. Either will do the job; both are very high quality.

ALWAYS apply dielectric properly.

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5113625

MGD

Old 01-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by marknmelb
Thanks for the info. NAPA closed on Sundays here. But Advance and O'reilly have the Autolite and BWD in stock for 7.99/ea.

BTW - I was 8 for 8 on plug removal. NO broken plugs They also looked VERY clean for 123k on them. I ran 3 cans of Seafoam wit a lot of highway miles on those tanks. Used a low torque impact wrench on a cold motor. So now I can send the Lisle tool back to Summit

Good job!

Keep an eye on yer cats and O2's - that much Seafoam will be very hard on them... Techron is the preferred juju juice fer this process ( in fact, with ~123K yer front O2's should probably be changed fer best A/F control ).

I'd also hang on to ye Lisle - the current R&R fer plugs is now 60K - if ye plan to keep that truck, you may be needing it. SP515's can still separate in the heads, despite all precautions or removal method.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-11-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Ok. Thanks for the O2/cats advice. I used one can per full tank. So hopefully it wasn't too hard on them. Also, I thought the 515s were a one piece plug ?? And yes we do plan on keeping the truck for a while. It's actually been pretty trouble free.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
Nope, the only one piece plugs are Champion, Brisk, and E3. The SP515's are supposedly less prone to breakage, but they are still 2 piece.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the help from this thread and others on this forum. All plugs and boots replaced. Had a little corrosion on some of the coils. Used a small fine file to clean them up. Truck started no problem. One thing I did discover that not only was removing the PCM helpful to get to #8. Also the bracket it was mounted on. Do a little cleanup then take it for a test drive. Still can't believe no plugs broke. I was sweating each one. Especially #4 & #8.

Quick Reply: coil to plug fitment???