2004 - 2008 F-150

VCT Solenoid grommet removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VCT Solenoid grommet removal?

Okay so I ended up throwing a P0016 VCT error bank 1. Idle is slightly rough, blah blah...

i grabbed a pair of VCT solenoids (Hey, if one is bad, the other isn't far behind, might as well do this once...).

I am completely clueless on how, if at all possible, to remove the grommet without utterly destroying it.

Has anyone done this or is this a lost cause? If so, how do I remove the grommet without harming everything underneath it?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
Okay so I ended up throwing a P0016 VCT error bank 1. Idle is slightly rough, blah blah...

i grabbed a pair of VCT solenoids (Hey, if one is bad, the other isn't far behind, might as well do this once...).

I am completely clueless on how, if at all possible, to remove the grommet without utterly destroying it.

Has anyone done this or is this a lost cause? If so, how do I remove the grommet without harming everything underneath it?
You don't try to salvage them - you need to REPLACE them. Should always order NEW grommets with new solenoids. The originals have well & truly hardened up by now and are a lost cause...

A small dose of PB Blaster, etc, to help free them up, then it's just a matter of carefully worrying them out without gouging the valve cover. Me - I simply used a stout pair of longnose pliers and yanked them out - but I'm a Cossack with Brobdingnagian forearms.

SEAL PART #: 3L3Z-6C535-AA

Example: http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/54L...Z-6C535-AA.htm

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-24-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
...A small dose of PB Blaster, etc, to help free them up, then it's just a matter of carefully worrying them out without gouging the valve cover. Me - I simply used a stout pair of longnose pliers and yanked them out - but I'm a Cossack with Brobdingnagian forearms.

SEAL PART #: 3L3Z-6C535-AA

Example: http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/54L...Z-6C535-AA.htm
I wasn't concerned for the grommets so much as what lays underneath. I can grab a plier full and yank. I just don't want to unnecessarily break something important.

First time I have seen brobdinmagian used in a forum post. You win the vocabulary gold star for today!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I agree with mdgfan.. I have used a small flat blade screw driver to remove them. Didn't damage them either. Just worked around the outer edge, and they popped right out. Easy peasy.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by baticus
Although I agree with mdgfan.. I have used a small flat blade screw driver to remove them. Didn't damage them either. Just worked around the outer edge, and they popped right out. Easy peasy.
How on earth you got the screwdriver all the way around these *#%@ things I will never know...

The manual I have says to unbolt and move the PS resevoir out of the way, but says not a thing about how to get that stupid bracket out of the way... I have been under the weather and haven't tackled it yet, but need to desperately...

I sure wish I had the youth, and energy to handle all the projects I need to get done!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The p/s resevior bracket is bolted to the front of the head, as well as down by the exhaust port, the front you can use a 13mm or 1/2 inch socket/wrench, and the other bolt use a 19mm or 3/4 socket(to the best of my recollection. I would say use a socket and ratchet, I kneeled on the shroud, and front end of the engine, and reached down to it. The supply hose from the coolant resevior may be slightly in the way. If that makes sense..

And as far as the solenoid rubbers, I have a tiny flat bladed snap on screw driver that I used. They were stuck fairly good, but I just worked my way around slowly.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost

When I did this I had to remove the entire grommet... I think the parts like 15 bucks. Be worth it to replace it.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by baticus
The p/s resevior bracket is bolted to the front of the head, as well as down by the exhaust port, the front you can use a 13mm or 1/2 inch socket/wrench, and the other bolt use a 19mm or 3/4 socket(to the best of my recollection. I would say use a socket and ratchet, I kneeled on the shroud, and front end of the engine, and reached down to it. The supply hose from the coolant resevior may be slightly in the way. If that makes sense..

And as far as the solenoid rubbers, I have a tiny flat bladed snap on screw driver that I used. They were stuck fairly good, but I just worked my way around slowly.
Okay that is on my weekend TODO list assuming the weather isn't completely foul...

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Well health, and weather did NOT coopoerate with me this weekend. Hopefully I can get this done this week...

Quick Reply: VCT Solenoid grommet removal?