2004 - 2008 F-150

Clutch fan, normal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dont slow down
What about a thermostat? If you aren't seeing a high temp on your needle but your fan is engaging maybe the thermostat is stuck? Or sticking?
The needle won't show you it's running hot until something drastic happens though. You'd need a scangauge or something similar to view the actual temps. You can be running 40 degrees higher than you should and the needle will still be in the normal position.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I have the 4.2l v6 with the 5 speed standard shift.... and when I travel in 1st for more than 10 seconds, the fan sounds like a semi truck. It has done this since it had 10 miles on it from the Ford store. I asked service and they said it is normal. I've even checked the clutch myself, and it is working. I can stop the fan with my hands... (yeah, I know, stupid idea to stick my fingers in an engine fan).

It does it any temperature range and only when I am in 1st and staying there in it while driving.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
PCM reads trans temperature as well as coolant temp. All of that is PCM strategy to the cooling fan

AC demands will also drive the fan into a different strategy. Defrost uses AC as well. Try turning AC off and repeat your drive and see what happens
Thanks Pat,

I have tried with no A/C and defrost with the same results. Now knowing the fan is monitored by trans temp as well, I'm guessing that is where the problem is. Being It is the temp I cannot read plus followed by hard downshifts while the fan is on. Why there would be excess heat from normal driving and normal outside temps is beyond me. Fluid level is correct, looks and smells normal. Truck has never had a tow package from the factory so it has never towed. I'll take it in and have them pull some live data after my trip home from work being this happens every day now. Like everyone else suggested, a scangauge would be helpful in this situation and is on a future list of accessories. But for now... my big concern is the downshifts. Feels like the trans is about to rip itself from it's mounts and throw me through the windshield.

Quick Reply: Clutch fan, normal or not?