2004 - 2008 F-150

Regearing for bigger wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regearing for bigger wheels/tires

I'm about to lift my '08 XLT 4X4 and planning to regear to 4.56 Motive a Gear. Can anyone advise me as to whether the master install kits (front and rear) are necessary, the truck has maybe 65k miles on the clock, and I rarely use the 4wd, so I imagine the bearings are in decent shape. I know it's usually best to just do everything while you have it open in these cases. I was just hoping to save a few bucks as the wife put me on a budget. I was looking at their complete kits at summit, with the gaskets, bearings, shims, and all. Does anyone recommend something else, or should I just bite the bullet and get the complete kits? Thank you all.

Bryan

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 PM
what will you be kicking yourself in the *** over more...spending the extra couple hundred to do it now or spending several times that down the road if something wears out?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 AM
RZ,

I know. I'm already prepared for this, but I was hoping there was another alternative. Those kits seem so pricey in relation to the gear sets. They seem to have so much extra stuff I may not need. You're right, and I fear something will eventually leave me on a roadside somewhere farther than I care to walk. Then, the extra money spent on the insurance by doing it right will be peanuts compared to the potential damage.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM
I hear ya. you may or may not need half the stuff in that kit but it cant hurt to replace (except the wallet slightly). I'm about to do the same thing as you, 4.56 gears and the extra cost is worth the peace of mind to me. I don't want to pay all that $$$ to get the work done and then in the back of my mind worry about if i should have done this or that. enjoy the gears!

Quick Reply: Regearing for bigger wheels/tires