2004 - 2008 F-150

Please Help, My Gryphon Tuner Froze Up On Me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help, My Gryphon Tuner Froze Up On Me!

Hello all,

Here's my story (short version)

I have a 2004 F-150 Lariat 5.4, I have a Gryphon tuner with a custom tune. It's been in my truck for almost 5 years now. I have had zero issues with it until today. My truck had not been started in almost 2 weeks so the battery was dead. Once I jump started it, the screen on my Gryphon went white/blue. I normally have it to a Red color and this is the color that always comes up when the truck is started. So when I looked at the screen to see what it said, it read:Calibration Information ECM, then a number code. Below this it said press enter. Once I did that it read ECM not located and just froze in that screen. None of the buttons worked and the screen stayed white. Even with the truck off the screen stays on. I had to unplug it from the main port.*
OK so now, I say to nyself, I'll go on over to the PHP forums and see if I can find something? So I type the address in only to find out there is no more forum?? I can't even find a phone number?*

Does anyone have a phone number for PHP? I would really be appreciative of this.*

Also, any ideas or help you can offer would be even more appreciated! !

Thank you, to anyone reading this and offering help. I'm super bummed out right now. I really hope I can get this sorted out.

SVS

Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 AM
I just had a thought I wanted to run by you guys?, Is it because my battery is low (I need to replace it tomorrow) and not reading the correct/high enough voltage to get the Gryphon to properly work?
I could of sworn I read something years ago about the Gryphon needing a pre set battery voltage/amps in order to power up and cycle correctly?

Man, other than this I'm stumped??

Old 05-10-2014, 06:31 AM
PHP recommends disconnecting the tuner before "jump-starting". Low/weak battery can cause all kinds of wierd electronic issues in our trucks. Here's the PHP main/contact page.

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_contact.shtml

I would unplug the tuner when you replace the battery. Whatever tune you were running when the problem started is still in the trucks PCM.

Last edited by 60DRB; 05-10-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the reply 60DRB. I now have the tuner unplugged from the main port under the steering wheel. I'll leave it this way until the battery swap. The tune I was running was a custom 87 performance tune. It s good to know that this is what's currently programmed. Once I replace the battery today I'll update the post.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok I replaced the battery and it still does not work??
The error message I'm getting now is: ECM Not Located.

I'm bummed out now. Grabbing at straws now, but do you think the truck has to be on/running for a while before the Gryphon can acknowledge the ECM? If anyone knows if the truck computer has to relearn itself that may help?

I really wish the PHP forums were still up. It may give me a direction to start/go with.

Last edited by forddrivr; 05-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would not mess with it until talking with someone at PHP. It should function when you turn the key on.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 AM
^^ Agreed. Even if the forums were up, you would likely need to talk to them. It could be a simple walk/talk through, or the tuner might have to be sent back to them.

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Some folks have reported that this can burn out the cable. It may be as easy as a cable swap.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to call PHP in the morning.
I'll be sure to leave my updates here as to log/ help out anyone else in the future.

Quick Reply: Please Help, My Gryphon Tuner Froze Up On Me!