2004 - 2008 F-150

Bilstein 5100 AND AS 2" spacer??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
The 5100s are good shocks. At first they are very stiff, but in a few thousand miles they break in. My truck used to rattle like a school bus if I went over the slightest bump on the road before I installed the 5100s. Now it rides like a Cadillac and doesn't make any noises at all no matter how bad the road is. I would definitely buy them again. I went with the stock ride height.
Have you taken them off-road at all? How do you like the handling there? I read a thread in here and the writer hated them when off-road. I'm trying to get a bit more of a feel for how they work in all conditions. Thanks!!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by iclay
Have you taken them off-road at all? How do you like the handling there? I read a thread in here and the writer hated them when off-road. I'm trying to get a bit more of a feel for how they work in all conditions. Thanks!!
I've been in plowed fields, logging roads, etc and they have handled real nice. I've never taken it to an extreme off-road park, but for a mostly on-highway truck they are the best you can get. I can take some photos of them if you like on my truck. They've already made it a whole winter and they still look brand new.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM
I've been in plowed fields, logging roads, etc and they have handled real nice. I've never taken it to an extreme off-road park, but for a mostly on-highway truck they are the best you can get. I can take some photos of them if you like on my truck. They've already made it a whole winter and they still look brand new.
I'll take anything you can offer! I am mostly on the road as well, but hunting season takes its toll on the rough logging roads. There are a lot of washboard roads here in the NW, thanks to the rain. I do also love to hit the hills during the winter. Plowing through the snow in 4wd is a blast!!! I just want to make sure that dropping $200 on 2 shocks will give me what I want for as long as I have them.

Thanks!!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM

My truck is a little muddy. This is all I have at the time. Again, they are positioned at the stock ride height. I don't like the idea of leveling a truck. If you wanted a level ride height, the coil would be approx 2 inches higher on the shock.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't waste your money on the AS, go for just the 5100s!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by rochlind
I wouldn't waste your money on the AS, go for just the 5100s!
Have you done that with the 2" setting? I am worried about the tire up-travel, as Bilstein says that with an AS spacer, your up-travel is limited. But I keep hearing that the 2" setting with the Bilsteins is a stiff ride. So do I not have a choice? Either a stiff ride with the Bilstein or a softer ride with limited up-travel with the AS spacers? I am concerned about the stiff ride due to my wife's brain condition. If I hit a speed bump or some washboard roads with her in the truck, I don't want it to bug her.

Thanks!!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by iclay
I am worried about the tire up-travel, as Bilstein says that with an AS spacer, your up-travel is limited. But I keep hearing that the 2" setting with the Bilsteins is a stiff ride. So do I not have a choice? Either a stiff ride with the Bilstein or a softer ride with limited up-travel with the AS spacers? I am concerned about the stiff ride due to my wife's brain condition. If I hit a speed bump or some washboard roads with her in the truck, I don't want it to bug her.

Thanks!!
Just go to Home Depot and buy 8-10 bags of concrete to ride in your bed. With a leveling kit you're paying hard earned money to shorten the life of your front-end components. You also get limited travel or a s h i t t y ride. With the concrete bags you're saving money and getting an amazing ride without damaging your front-end. Its a win win.

If your serious about the leveling up front though, maybe you could go with the Bilsteins and cut a little off your coil springs to get a softer ride.

Last edited by 08FX4SC; 03-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM

Eight to ten 50 or 80 pound bags of concrete?!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Eight to ten 50 or 80 pound bags of concrete?!
Go with ten 50 lb bags to make it a nice round even number. That probably would exceed the RAM's payload capacity with the rear coil spring suspension, but the OP doesn't need to worry.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:31 PM

Go with ten 50 lb bags to make it a nice round even number. That probably would exceed the RAM's payload capacity with the rear coil spring suspension, but the OP doesn't need to worry.
Anything in the name of traction, right? But yeah, the Ram would be full-blown cali-leaning to the max. Signature worthy suspension mod

Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Putting all that weight in the back and having it constantly there is just wearing out the leafs and rear shocks faster. Eventually you wouldn't even need that bags because it'll sag down the leafs so much.

A smarter and cheaper alternative if you were going to lower the rear would just be to remove the factory block...

Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
A smarter and cheaper alternative if you were going to lower the rear would just be to remove the factory block...
That would work also, but what if he is driving along one day and he sees a sidewalk that needs repair?

I say either lift it or leave it!

Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 AM
Well, ok then. It always cracks me up to see all the "colorful" tracks that these threads can run off on. LOL!! I've ordered the Bilsteins and supposedly they have some in stock, so I will hopefully get them within a week or so. I just got the AS spacers today. I am worried about the statement Bilstein makes that with the AS spacers, your up-travel is limited. But I also wonder how big of a deal that is? I may still return them. I hate having to decide without experiencing the difference myself!!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 AM

I'll say one thing: Bilstein was trying to sell you their product, weren't they?

But yeah, I love threads getting sidetracked a bit! "Colorful tracks" is a good one

Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Good choice with the Bilsteins. You're going to love them.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 AND AS 2" spacer??