2004 - 2008 F-150

driver door problem, thinks its shut sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver door problem, thinks its shut sometimes.

got a backwards door problem. most threads im finding they say they shut the door and it still says door ajar. my truck sometimes, mostly when cold, ill open the door and the dome light will come on, then ill open it some more and the dome light goes off and door ajar goes away, so it thinks i shut the door. i got it to do it this morning, when it thought the door was shut, i tried rolling windows up and locking the doors from that door, and that all worked, so the door still has power when its messing up. i shut the door about 12 inches and the dome light came back on and door ajar came back on the dash.

what actually tells the truck the doors open? i assume its in the latch since there is no door jamb switch?

i have tried spraying the latch mechanism in the door with wd40, its still doing it obviously. any other ideas?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
The wires going to the latch may be broken/starting to break. Check for damaged wires inside the boot that goes between the door and the cab.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
i thought that at first, a buddy of mine had an 05 with over 300k on it, but see his wire was the ground wire so it killed the whole door. my door still has power when this screws up i figured whats the likely hood of just the door latch switch wire being worn. but thats a start ill have to check that out.

i was thinking it was either what you just said or the switch. the switch isnt but 8 bucks or so from ford but hell if i dont have to pull the door pannel ill be alright with that.

has anyone had a bad door switch do something simmilar or does it just say door ajar when its shut?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM
One of the two wires going to the latch on my truck was cut - this caused the cluster to think the door was always shut.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
in the boot between door and cab or in the door?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
in the boot between door and cab or in the door?
In the boot.

Quick Reply: driver door problem, thinks its shut sometimes.