2004 - 2008 F-150

loss of trans fluid? check your transfer cae.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of trans fluid? check your transfer cae.

i have made this repair to other 04 and newer F150's and now mine needs it. the seal between the trans and transfer case goes bad and allows the trans fluid to be pushed into the transfer case. if it gets full enough it will push fluid out the transfer case vent. the shop manual states the tranfer case must be disaasmbled to replace the seal. not true. remove the transfer case and the seal is right there on the input shaft and is easily replaced. all you will need is a new seal and gasket between the case and trans. easy way to diag this is check trans fluid level, if it needs to be topped off but no leak is visible remove the fill plug on the transfer case. if fluid pours out, you have a bad seal. my case was 2 qts overfilled.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any links to a video of the repair? I've been searching you tube for asn hour and this forum about half that. Frustrated. I have to do mine or pay stealership 1400

Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another spot to check for leaks is the rubber line that connects the transmission to the aluminum vent tube on top of the tranny. While my pump seal WAS leaking, the vent tube rubber connection was also busted, and fluid WILL spray out of this where it won't get all the way up the vent tube...

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the torque converter seal with a pinhole leak. I also popped off the fill bolt of the transfer case and the level is good. No gusher so the transfer seal is ok. This TC repair involves dropping the tranny so I have to find a shop to do it. Too many back surgeries So far I'm down to $700 or so including a better torque converter.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My seal is leaking as well, not bad, but going to have it serviced today only to have it topped off before heading to the lake for the holiday weekend. I will have the seal replaced next week. Most shops will tell you that they want to replace whole case, which like the OP said, isn't necessarily required.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have a part number for this seal?

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tranny just went out and had it rebuilt. The rebuild included new front/rear tranny seals.

But........ If I had a brain (or they did), I would have had the rear seal on the engine and both transfer case seals replaced. The had everything apart and the seals are cheap.

When I got the truck back the rear transfer case seal leaked and I brought it back and they replaced it.

Anyway......... just thought it may help someone to consider this.

My son brought is GMC to have rear main seal fixed/replaced. They suggested and did both tranny and both transfer case seals at the same time. This is smart.

Quick Reply: loss of trans fluid? check your transfer cae.