2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 5.4l 3V running rough stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 5.4l 3V running rough stalling

Hello,

I have a 2005 Expedition 5.4l 3v

Truck is running really rough and eventually stalling if you let it idle down for a minute.

Have following codes

P0022 bank 2 over retard
P0175 bank 2 to rich
P0171 Bank 1 to lean

Truck ran great happened at a stop light ran like a bag all the way home had to keep it out of overdrive to get home

Spark plugs have 10,000 miles on them
Oil and filter changed with motorcraft filter and 5w20
Fuel filter just changed.

Fuel pressure key on engine off 50-55psi at rail via scanner
Key on engine running 38-40 psi at rail via scanner

Fuel trims at 1000rpm
LTFT1 29.7%
LTFT2 -18.0%

STFT1 39.1%
STFT2 53.1%
calculated air fuel ratio AFR 14.7:1

Have exhaust leak after cats

Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned maf
Cleaned pvc

Truck has 14.0V at 1000rpm.

With truck running I went under the hood and started unplugging injectors. At any rpm if I unplug any injector on the passenger side engine really bogs down and almost stalls, on the drivers side if I unplug 1 or all 4 injectors it makes no difference it still runs the same, the injectors are firing because they are making the ticking noise when plugged back in. Coils are getting power. Also if I unplug the vct sensors still runs like a bag makes no difference.

The engine shakes and idles rough, truck has little power, kind of smooth's out around 2500rpm+

If you have any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by kalisto2k1; 04-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Sounds like you have VCT issues, and possibly some bad injectors. The 05 5.4 3v has a known injector issue, and the warranty on them has been extended to 11 years/120k miles.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0022

Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Sounds like you have VCT issues, and possibly some bad injectors. The 05 5.4 3v has a known injector issue, and the warranty on them has been extended to 11 years/120k miles.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0022

Hmm but all 4 injectors on the drivers side? all of a sudden. Truck ran perfect until now. I can unplug all the injectors on the drivers side and truck runs the same, makes no difference. Seems to be running on 4 cyl or something. But if you plug them in they tick so they are functioning. I plugged them back in 1 by 1 and all ticked. The Passenger side injectors once one is pulled of truck bogs down and dies. The VCT could be stuck open? I unplugged both VCT valves and made no difference. Could this be a clogged cat on drivers side? Or a fuel issue or maybe a FPDM. Oil pressure is good, this happens when engine is cold and hot does not improve does not get worse.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 PM
glc
Read my link. You have a VCT issue that needs to be fixed first.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Read my link. You have a VCT issue that needs to be fixed first.
Should I replace the cam phasers and vct solenoids? or inspect the solenoid? Truck ran good phaser noise was very minimal could barely hear it with the hood open.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
glc
You need to find a troubleshooting procedure for the VCT, you don't just throw parts at it.

Causes

A P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks GLC I fixed it up it was the drivers side vct solenoid, runs like a champ now, the screens were broken and stuck in the the solenoid, still ohmed out at 8.5.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good call glc, appreciate what you do here.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 PM
glc
Great!

Now clear your codes and see if any of them come back.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM
GLC,
Have the same issue kalisto2k1 except my engine has had the cam phaser noise quite prevelant for a long time.

- I just changed my VCT's about 8 months ago, read somewhere that it helps with the phaser noise - it didn't
- Use Motocraft filter and Mobil 1 5w-20

Two days ago i started it up and it began to miss and loss of power. Stalled 3x at stopsigns before i got it home. ran scanner, showed missfire on #5 and lean and rich mixture on bank 1 and 2 (can't remember which bank was lean & rich offhand).

- Changed coil on #5, same issue, rough idle almost stalls
- Cleared codes
- Started up let run a few seconds, ran scan
- Misfires on more cylinders and very rough idle
- Definine strong smell coming from exhaust, probably unburned fuel?

Any ideas i can try before i take it to the shop? Thx

Old 03-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by HuckFinnF150
GLC,
Have the same issue kalisto2k1 except my engine has had the cam phaser noise quite prevelant for a long time.

- I just changed my VCT's about 8 months ago, read somewhere that it helps with the phaser noise - it didn't
- Use Motocraft filter and Mobil 1 5w-20

Two days ago i started it up and it began to miss and loss of power. Stalled 3x at stopsigns before i got it home. ran scanner, showed missfire on #5 and lean and rich mixture on bank 1 and 2 (can't remember which bank was lean & rich offhand).

- Changed coil on #5, same issue, rough idle almost stalls
- Cleared codes
- Started up let run a few seconds, ran scan
- Misfires on more cylinders and very rough idle
- Definine strong smell coming from exhaust, probably unburned fuel?

Any ideas i can try before i take it to the shop? Thx
I had the same thing happen on another truck. It turned out to be a phaser that let go and broke the pin that goes into the cam and moved just enough to throw out the timing. Then I replaced the phasers chains and guides and tensioners. the truck ran perfectly for 2 weeks till it seized up the cams. Problem was the loose chains slapping from the loose phasers chewed up the timing guides and all that gunk went into the pickup tube and clogged the screen starving the top end of oil. Long story short if you get all that work done pull the pan and clean the screen it will save you buying another impossible to find 5.4l

Last edited by kalisto2k1; 03-13-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks GLC. It's at the shop now. Should hear more today. Couple other questions for you.

1. Is there an way to "flush" the oil system if there broken parts?
2. Is it worth installing a new oil pump? I've read that on some of the new rebuilt engines they install a Melling M360?

Thanks for you help everyone.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:14 PM
05 f150 5.4l

I replace the chain on this 2 years ago and the pin sheared off the phaser so I had to do it again but this time we replaced the oil pump to with the melling 360 I got it all back together and it runs like crap and when I'm driving it down the road it starts to hiss really loud like I has a vacuum leak I lose brakes to 4 wheel drive engages and it cuts off I checked the scanner and the rcam1 is at 14.9 and the rcam2 is at 0.2 at idle normal operating temp if I give it some gas it spits and sputters and then evens out at a higher RPM and both of those values come up to about 70 or 80 at the same time but if I let it idle afterwards cam2 comes down to 0.2 and cam 1 still comes down to about 14.9 sometimes it'll stay running crappy sometimes it'll just cut off it's almost like it's flooding itself out which technically it kind of is according to the scanner I was told it sounds like the driver side VCT is stuck what do y'all think

Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mechfs
I replace the chain on this 2 years ago and the pin sheared off the phaser so I had to do it again but this time we replaced the oil pump to with the melling 360 I got it all back together and it runs like crap and when I'm driving it down the road it starts to hiss really loud like I has a vacuum leak I lose brakes to 4 wheel drive engages and it cuts off I checked the scanner and the rcam1 is at 14.9 and the rcam2 is at 0.2 at idle normal operating temp if I give it some gas it spits and sputters and then evens out at a higher RPM and both of those values come up to about 70 or 80 at the same time but if I let it idle afterwards cam2 comes down to 0.2 and cam 1 still comes down to about 14.9 sometimes it'll stay running crappy sometimes it'll just cut off it's almost like it's flooding itself out which technically it kind of is according to the scanner I was told it sounds like the driver side VCT is stuck what do y'all think
update: swapped vct solenoids and the problem didn't follow

Old 03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
glc
I think you have a major vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4l 3V running rough stalling