2004 - 2008 F-150

towing wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing wiring questions

I have an 2007 F150 without a factory hitch and only a 4 wire flat connector at the rear bumper. I will be adding a hitch, 7 pin connector, and a brake controller. I have found the brake controller factory connector under the dash and it has only four wires going to it. One wire of each of the following colors: red, green, blue and black. Are these the only wires needed for the brake controller? I am looking at the Tekonsha P2 and their adapter appears to use only 4 wires: red, black, blue and white.
I have already read post about getting the required fuses and relays along with the factory 7 and 4 pin harness to replace the existing flat 4 pin only harness, along with the 7 and 4 pin connector.
Is there some way to tell if the other necessary wires, such as the trailer battery charge wire, are at the rear factory connector that the new 7 and 4 pin harness will connect as well as what colors wires they are? If they are not at the rear connector, I will have to run wires for brakes and charging.
I would like to get the necessary parts and do the work myself rather than pay to have someone else install and wire.
Thanks.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but this should have been in towing forum. Can someone move it there for me? Thanks.

Quick Reply: towing wiring questions