2004 - 2008 F-150

Sudden Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden Noise

I have a 2006 F-150 with the 5.4L with 120,000 miles. This forum has been GREAT on solving many on my problems and teaching me more about my truck. I am hoping that someone can point me the right direction.

I have a "whinning" noise that has just started. The noise sound almost like bearings? The noise started a few days ago. I got in the truck after work, turned it on and let it warm up for a few minutes. I started down the road and about 200 yards on the road this noise came on.

The noise is there as soon as you start the engine. It becomes a high whine with the RPM when idling. You can hear the noise when driving and the it almost feels slugish but they may be not wanting to push the motor since the noise appeared. The noise stays very constant with the RPM. The alternator is new about 10,000 miles ago and I put a new belt on at that time.

Any help??

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I have that same issue on my 2004. The noise comes and goes while driving. It occasionally does it a few seconds after it starts. Just started about a month ago. I thought maybe it was the alternator. I haven't had it looked at yet.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Pull the belt and start it. If the noise is gone, it's one of the driven pulleys. You can put the belt back on and use a mechanic's stethoscope to localize it.

If your battery is on its last legs, that can cause an alternator whine due to constant heavy charging load. Go to the parts store and get the battery load tested.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Noise.

Sounds like it could be one of the idler pulleys. Mine did this also and came on right after i had work done on it at the dealer. I kid you not. I was only about 200 yards down the road when it started. I thinking now what did they do!!!
I got it home and pulled out my mechanic's stethoscope to localize it as mentioned above and found the culprit. It cost me $70 bucks for a new pulley as they said you cant just get the bearing. So i took it and fixed it. But did some searching on this site and found the bearing number and bought two and replaced all the other pulley bearing. and it cost less than $10 bucks for all 2 bearing. ill save you some leg work if its an idler bearing. here is the number. NTN 6203

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sudden Noise