2004 - 2008 F-150

Ball joints IWE issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ball joints IWE issue

Hi, I recently replaced both lower ball joints on my '06 F150 4x4 and in doing so I think I may have caused an issue with the IWEs. I have read up and down about the IWE vacuum issues and such and have come to the conclusion the IWE on one or both sides is failing to disengage one both hubs. While pulling the axel shafts out I left the IWE on the knuckles and simply placed them back in when I was done, as I have always done with front wheel drives. Now I have the infamous hum when in 2wd drive but goes away when I put in 4wd or pull the plug on the IWE solenoid. Is my IWE shot or could it be fixed by properly removing the axel and IWE and reassembling it with it on the axel shaft and using the vacuum cap as descibed, then inserting it in the hub. It was only humming for about 10 miles and never did it before the ball joint replace. Thanks in advance F-150 gurus

Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 AM
start with replacing .your IWE resistor its only 20$-40$ located at the fire wall , behind the battery

Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was assembled wrong, you would know immediately as the wheel would likely grind very loudly. Follow this: http://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-dia...m-esof-186872/

Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Update!

I jacked up the truck to figure out if it was one or both IWEs or the solenoid. Passenger side spins free when in 2wd, drivers side does not. So I tore the drivers side down and took the IWE off. It held vacuum and moved in and out just fine. So I assembled it with the IWE on the half shaft as the manual states and reassembled the IWE to the knuckle and drive shaft. Even with applied vacuum with a vacuum pump and the half shaft is still enagaged. Any ideas on why it won't disengage even with vacuum and a seemingly functional IWE?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Also, now that iam looking at pics of the IWE, I believe mine came apart, leaving the gear in the hub, separated from the IWE. Has anyone came across this? I ordered a new one from Tousley, just curious if this is common.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be that the IWE collar is moving, but internal corrosion might prevent it from moving far enough to disengage the hub gear. That happened to mine; the collar moved on half the IWE but was frozen on the other side. This resulted in the IWE tilting when vacuum was applied. The PO must have heard a lot of grinding because the IWE gear and hub gear both sustained quite s bit of damage. I replaced the IWE and the 4x4 works, but I'm going to replace the hub before next winter just for peace of mind.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 02-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by SVT Contour
Also, now that iam looking at pics of the IWE, I believe mine came apart, leaving the gear in the hub, separated from the IWE. Has anyone came across this? I ordered a new one from Tousley, just curious if this is common.
this is common things to happen , when your solenoid actuator fails, 1 or both HUB accuators will follow. . goid luck

Quick Reply: Ball joints IWE issue