2004 - 2008 F-150

topper

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
topper

I've been considering a topper for awhile now and I found one on craigslist for 450. Went and looked today and its a century, its in real good shape, has the pop out side windows and its the right color. Might be hard to pass this one up. I know I'll have the ol man look but I just keep thinking about how handy one would be.
Thoughts? 450 seems like a good price to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd jump on it for $450.00 -- especially considering it's in good shape and you don't have to re-paint it to work on your truck!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great deal. I bought a Century Royal off of Craigs too, same color and model year so lucked out. I had a mismatched Astro on before that (also bought off Craigs) and although I liked the functionality of the Astro, the mismatched color always bothered me. I was able to sell the Astro to a guy that had the wedgewood blue and got a great deal on the Century. I like the back pivot windows and the styling is less "old man".

Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Well I got it. It looks good, not the exact shade but my wife can't tell any difference. It does have a few more scratches than I thought once I got it washed, nothin a little touchup paint won't take care of. I'm going to need to do some adjusting and mess with the seals to get it where I want it but so far I think I'm goin to like it. Ill post pictures tomorrow.
It does have a led 3rd brake light and dome light that have a flat4 trailer plug. Does that just wire to the trailer harness? If so how does the dome light get powered?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I hooked up my topper brake light to the factory wire located in on the frame rail beneath the drivers side, had to run it back and up to the light. For the dome light, I took the quick way out I guess and tapped into the drivers side parking light wiring. I considered a dedicated line, but probably won't be a bad idea to have to turn on the parking lamps to power the topper dome, that way I'll be less likely to leave it on and drain down the battery. I have yet to use the dome light anyway. There are some good explanations in the bedliners, caps, tops & lids on this site.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have one with a 3rd brake light and have done just as wolverine has done. the 3rd brake light wire is on the driver frame rail right underneath the drivers door, its behind a plastic "splash guard". but beware when u remove the guard tons of crap will come falling out.

i also have 6 LED strips that i use as domelights. 4 of them are in the actual bed of the truck and 2 are on the roof of the cap to provide additional light when its on. the lights in the bed of the truck are wired directly off of the dome light in the truck so they act just like real domelights. however i have also wired it in such a way that i can manually turn the lights on in the bed only from a switch in the bed.

i have also wire it with a trailer 4-way between the bed and the cap. 1 circuit for the brake light and 1 for the dome lights. i have not used the last circuit.

i have the wiring for the domelights come out of a gromet in the driver rear door and meet up with the 3rd brake light wire then go up between the cab and bed. on the inside i have all the wiring tucked behind the bed liner to keep it protected and avoid ripping it out.

ive included a few pics\

its all worked out very well for me and i now have the ability to remove the cap and not have to worry about the wiring becoming a issue.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did like the other two did, just tap into the factory harness under the drivers seat for the third brake light. I also tapped into my park lights for the under rail led lights I have mounted along with one four foot strip across the top at the door opening. Lights it up like a fish bowl at night.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
This wire under the cab, is it connected to the brake light on the cab, or is it an extra for this purpose? Wolverine, is your truck an 08? Do you remember what color it is?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by worm5932
This wire under the cab, is it connected to the brake light on the cab, or is it an extra for this purpose? Wolverine, is your truck an 08? Do you remember what color it is?
It is an accessory brake wire that is capped off, mine is an '08 and the wire is green. Someone posted some pics in the cap/bedliner section on this website. Basically like others said, there is a plastic black cover plate on the frame rail connected by push pins I think, I just pried mine carefully aside to expose the green wire, stripped it, and connected my wire and ran along frame rail and zip tied it in place.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by wolverine08
It is an accessory brake wire that is capped off, mine is an '08 and the wire is green. Someone posted some pics in the cap/bedliner section on this website. Basically like others said, there is a plastic black cover plate on the frame rail connected by push pins I think, I just pried mine carefully aside to expose the green wire, stripped it, and connected my wire and ran along frame rail and zip tied it in place.
thanks! im goin that route, and for the dome lights im just going to splice into the 12v wire on the 7 pin trailer plug.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM

i cant wait til spring to put the wheels back on, my wife thinks its going to look stupid but what does she know.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by worm5932
thanks! im goin that route, and for the dome lights im just going to splice into the 12v wire on the 7 pin trailer plug.
On my truck that power only works when the truck is running

Quick Reply: topper