Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Chugging on acceleration...HELP >

Chugging on acceleration...HELP

2004 - 2008 F-150

Chugging on acceleration...HELP

Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
If you let off the pedal and then re apply pressure and it stops or increase the throttle and it stops that sounds like tq converter. If theres no check engine light I would keep driving till it gets worse.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Some have found the seal on the air box leaks.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Try checking the Throttle position sensor

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
I too am having this exact same issue. I have cleaned MAF, throttle body, air filter, new fuel filter. Still happening. I am thinking COPs next. I hope someone figures this out soon. 2004 140,000 miles

Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dan1724 View Post
Hey all! GREAT forum!
Here's the problem I'm having, and maybe some of you can help...
My 07 with 180,000 miles on it has had a problem and I don't know where to look.
When I accelerate normally (which is admittedly pretty slow), as the truck nears 45-50 mph it begins to chug like it is starved for fuel. If I held the pedal at a steady rate when this happened, it wouldn't stop. In order to MAKE it stop, I have to either mash the pedal or let off and give it LESS acceleration for a longer period of time to get up to speed. This just started happening within the last month or so, and at first it only happened a few times but now it is constant. I fill up every other day, so I know I don't have old gas in the tank and I rarely let the fuel level get below a quarter tank.

Can anyone point me in a direction where to look? I'm a big believer in checking the simple things first!

Thanks!

with that many miles, i would immediatley say coils and plugs. mine...my moms and several friends trucks have done the exact same thing. could be the fuel filter, but i doubt it or else it would have been doing it at any speed

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 AM
Had that exact feeling in my truck and it ended up being the tranny. Let us know what it is when you figure it out.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 AM
OK so it's been a loonnnnng time since I came on here. I apologize for that. No more than a week after I posted this question, my Torque Converter took a dump on me - DRIVING UP THE EXIT RAMP IN FRONT OF A DEALERSHIP ON MY WAY TO TRADE THE TRUCK IN!!! Yeah. Exactly. Long story short, I couldn't get it serviced at the dealer (they were great people, by the way!) because they were very booked up. One of the techs pulled me aside and recommended a local transmission shop. I took it in, they fixed the torque converter for just shy of $800. It ran like new again for about a week then began chugging just like before once again. I have had several mechanics look at it, and nobody seems to have a clue. At normal speed, everything is just fine. As soon as I go to pass someone and give it a little gas, chug-chug-chug-chug... Any other ideas???

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
glc
Did you ever change the spark plugs as suggested?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds to me like a low grade misfire. My '06 had this only happen when cruising in o/d at about 45-55 mph and then giving it just enough throttle as not to kick down to third, it would kick and buck and no CEL. I bought a set of $80 Global cops off eBay and replaced them. Was running perfectly for three days, then one of them crapped out and got a CEL. Replaced it with one of my old ones and its been running perfectly since.
I could have bought one OEM cop and replaced it one by one to see which cop is causing the misfire, but I don't have time for that, and one costs I think around $120 from Ford
Other than that, could be the sparkplugs but my money is on the cops.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Did you ever change the spark plugs as suggested?
No. The sticker shock of two quotes nearing $700 for plugs made me shy away. A couple years ago, I had the money to throw around for guesswork. These days, I can't afford to be wrong. It sucks, but that's my situation.

Originally Posted by NicksSmokestone View Post
Sounds to me like a low grade misfire. My '06 had this only happen when cruising in o/d at about 45-55 mph and then giving it just enough throttle as not to kick down to third, it would kick and buck and no CEL. I bought a set of $80 Global cops off eBay and replaced them. Was running perfectly for three days, then one of them crapped out and got a CEL. Replaced it with one of my old ones and its been running perfectly since.
I could have bought one OEM cop and replaced it one by one to see which cop is causing the misfire, but I don't have time for that, and one costs I think around $120 from Ford
Other than that, could be the sparkplugs but my money is on the cops.
Nick, thanks for the reply, but you have me lost a little bit. What do you mean by CEL and Global cops??? I'm unfamiliar with both terms.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
CEL is just short for check engine light. Global Automotive is the eBay seller that a number of people on this forum used as replacements with good success. Search on eBay "global dg511" and it should come up, this is for the 5.4 by the way.
Hope this solves your issue.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
glc
You need to change those plugs or you are just spinning your wheels. You should be able to find someone competent for about half that price. With 180k, if they have never been changed that DEFINITELY IS your problem - even if they were changed at 100k or before, it's time again.

COP = coil on plug. You don't start changing them out unless new plugs don't fix the misfire. When you do, people have been having mixed results with the cheap Ebay cops.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
UPDATE

I'll start this off by saying I'm one of those people who drive all of you nuts. I keep asking questions, but haven't had the time or money to try any of your suggestions. Truck is now up to 200,000 miles. Tonight, just for grins, I took it out of overdrive to see what that would do for the chugging, thinking that maybe the shop I had do the work didn't completely fix the problem with the torque converter.

Magically, I have no more thumping upon acceleration. Reengage overdrive, chug-chug-chug.

Was the torque converter the problem back then, or was this shop guessing? The truck runs just fine at all temps and all speeds EXCEPT for when it's going out of OD during a soft acceleration.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 AM
glc
LOW GRADE MISFIRE. Change the plugs!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dan1724 View Post
Hey all! GREAT forum!
Here's the problem I'm having, and maybe some of you can help...
My 07 with 180,000 miles on it has had a problem and I don't know where to look.
When I accelerate normally (which is admittedly pretty slow), as the truck nears 45-50 mph it begins to chug like it is starved for fuel. If I held the pedal at a steady rate when this happened, it wouldn't stop. In order to MAKE it stop, I have to either mash the pedal or let off and give it LESS acceleration for a longer period of time to get up to speed. This just started happening within the last month or so, and at first it only happened a few times but now it is constant. I fill up every other day, so I know I don't have old gas in the tank and I rarely let the fuel level get below a quarter tank.

Can anyone point me in a direction where to look? I'm a big believer in checking the simple things first!

Thanks!
Chugging around 40 to 45 mph...I will tell you what fixed mine! Put up with this for about two years...then I got a code that said AIT high...on the 07' 5.4 3 valve...this AIT sensor is incorporated with the MAF sensor. 68.00 at O'Reilly auto parts (the Mitsubishi One). Changed it and the spark plugs (50,000 miles)...NO MORE CHUGGING!
If I floored it BEFORE it would backfire and puke all over itself before changing the MAF Sensor and Plugs...BUT NOT NOW...IT RUNS GREAT AND WHEN I FLOOR IT...THE SCALDED APE SHOWS UP! VERY HAPPY CAMPER...NOW!
HOPE THIS HELPS YOU...I NEVER GOT THE AIT CODE FOR TWO YEARS...CLEANED THE MAF SENSOR HOPING FOR A FIX...CHANGED IT AND THE PLUGS...ITS FIXED NOW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chugging on acceleration...HELP

Sponsors

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: