2004 - 2008 F-150

Big problem. Stumped. dumping $$ on parts. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big problem. Stumped. dumping $$ on parts. Help!

My truck is a 2004 ford f150 5.4L 4x4 Lariat, has about 65,000 miles

here are the obd2 codes:

p0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
p0301 = Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0302 = Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
p0303 = Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
p0304 = Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
p0316 = Misfire Detected On Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
p0011 = "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

Replaced with new plugs
Replaced with new cop's
Replaced Cam Position Sensor on passenger side (bank1)
Just got done replacing the CKP sensor also

Truck won't start. I've tried turning it over quite a bit.
After turning key to on position, i do hear what i believe to be the fuel pump engage for a second or two. Funny thing happening, is when i touch the gas pedal i hear a "hum" from what i think is the fuel pump for as long as i keep pressure on the gas pedal. Also, the second i release the gas pedal pressure i hear another different sound from the fuel pump.

Another thing, after trying to get the truck to turn over the second i let go of the key and the starter stops, i hear what sounds like a chirp from a bird. Any thoughts on what this is from?

i'll be testing cop's for spark tomorrow.

also gonna pick up a compression tool then compare the 2 banks for the phaser problem ...?

Any thoughts guys?

PCM?

vct solenoid?

trying to avoid the ford dealer here in fall river, ma ..... this dealer is one of the bad ones ..... they'll spend all your money chasing ghost, and hit you with a huge bill.

Def need some help here.

What originally happened was, i was towing my trailer in [4x4 low] and had to hop on a main road for like 5 miles at 40mph, when i got to my destination my truck was sounding a little weird and had some loss of power, and felt like a misfire when hitting the gas .... eventually stalling a week later, and has not started since ....

need some input & help.

Last edited by SSDconvert; 03-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
And your truck is a what?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
And your truck is a what?
Not phsycic? tsk tsk tsk

Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Why were you towing in 4x4 low and not 4x4 high?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Couple things, all those codes apear to come from one side the engine. With replacing plugs and coils, that should take care of fire (unless your not getting power to your coils). After you verify that I am wondering if there is a problem with that fuel rail, what else could affect one side but not the other? The cam itself or like you mentioned the VCT cylinoid. I am tyring to think of items that are redundant per each side of the engine. Doubt its the PCM, never heard of one of those having a stoke (one side the motor only?)

As for the chirp sound with starter, that could just be the starter gear that "floats" spinning down and returning to the base of the starter after disengaging from the flywheel, you would not normally here that if the truck started as it would be drowned out by the engine, could also just be your belt when it stops turning.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 PM
LOL, i was waiting for that reply.

Originally Posted by c1t1d1
Why were you towing in 4x4 low and not 4x4 high?
previous to this incident, my truck had never ever been in 4low before.

previous to this incident i didn't even know how to put my truck into 4low.

my truck has the electronic switch.

it never went into 4 low before, and honestly, i thought 4low was broken.

come to find out(after this incident) i accidently put the vehicle into 4low.

When i had to transport my trailer from point A to point B, it was rainy and sloppy out. i hooked up trailer and was having trouble manuevering so i switched to 4x4H ..... accidently(unknowingly) i must have put in 4low, when manuevering vehicle i had to stop-go-reverse-go-stop-reverse, which i found out was what allows the 4x4L to kick in.

upon starting to transport vehicle to point B, i noticed the blue light 4x4L was on in the dash cluster(for the first time ever). I noticed high rpm's immediately and went to switch back to 4x4H .... only the truck wouldn't comply. i pulled over and tried to get out of 4x4L, i couldn't so i just drove to point B. When I got there i researched to 4x4low thing and was aware for the first time that my 4x4low actually worked and how to operate it properly.

So, NO, it wasn't intentional BELIEVE ME.

So Back to the issue, Any thoughts on my problem guys?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump.

Quick Reply: Big problem. Stumped. dumping $$ on parts. Help!