2004 - 2008 F-150

Bigger tires create vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuz
So where can I go get this road force test?
To my knowledge, most Ford dealers have them. So should just about all tire dealers.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like others have said a road force balancer is the way to go. I had vibration issues when I first got my 20's on.

Just make sure it is a reputable shop that knows what they are doing. I went to one place that told me all of my new tires were out of spec. I knew that something was wrong so I found another shop that had the road force machine and they got them balance correctly without issue.

If there is a place around you that sells aftermarket wheels (20's, 22's, 24's) you might ask them if they do it or who to use. I am sure that they have experienced issues. The larger the wheel/tire combo is the more likely you will need road force from what I understand.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Cuz
Okay I just called the local ford dealership. They have and can do the road force test for $49.99. But I'm a little hesitant to do this since I experienced the same exact vibration at the same speeds with both a brand new set of Nittos AND a brand new set of BFG's. Seems to me (I'm NO pro) that if it was a tire or balancing issue that one of the two new sets would not make a vibration?
Would you guys go do the test or look elsewhere for what's making the vibration?

Thanks again for your input!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Someone else may need to confirm this but I am pretty sure the road force machine would also be able to tell if your wheel was out of round or the problem.

If it does it might be worth the $50.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Cuz
Heading to the dealership now... Wish me luck!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Cuz
Well, just got the road force balance and they say the tires are great and they were a little off balance. Paid the $50 and about half a mile from the dealership I feel it's still vibrating! Aaargh & uuugh!
I dunno what tha F to do...

Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Well now that you have eliminated the tires and wheels, it is time to start looking at other components. Shocks, ball joints etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Sorry it didn't solve the problem. Maybe ball joints or a wheel bearing.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Cuz
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Well now that you have eliminated the tires and wheels, it is time to start looking at other components. Shocks, ball joints etc.
Yes Sir, that's the good thing about dropping that $50. One less thing it could be...
Without spending $400 for a mech to look over everything, what do y'all think I should look into next? Tie rods, ball joints, drive shaft, shocks or struts? Does the 06 even have struts? lol

Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Cuz
Originally Posted by ab46501
Sorry it didn't solve the problem. Maybe ball joints or a wheel bearing.
The wheel bearing can be checked by jacking up the front and checking for play by moving the wheel up and down/left and right? If so the mech did that and said it feels tight. If that's the way to check...
Sorry to keep asking questions but this is driving me crazy!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Cuz
Yes Sir, that's the good thing about dropping that $50. One less thing it could be...
Without spending $400 for a mech to look over everything, what do y'all think I should look into next? Tie rods, ball joints, drive shaft, shocks or struts? Does the 06 even have struts? lol

It has coilovers. You can replace the shocks without replacing the springs. Are the shocks original? If so they should be replaced no matter what. Rears are easy to do, but on the front, the coilovers have to be pulled and the springs compressed.to remove the shocks.
Unfortunately someone will have to look at the suspension parts to determine if they are good or not.
One question. You stated the vibration was in the steering wheel and pedal. What about seat of the pants? One thing these earlier models, especially 04 and 05 had a problem with was the e-brakes. They would rub, heat everything up and cause one heck of a vibration. If yours was seat of the pants and only after driving a while I would suspect that. Otherwise more likely something in the front. Also have the u-joints checked. They could cause vibration also.

As you have already found out, vibrations can be a bear to find.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Cuz
Originally Posted by kingfish51
It has coilovers. You can replace the shocks without replacing the springs. Are the shocks original? If so they should be replaced no matter what. Rears are easy to do, but on the front, the coilovers have to be pulled and the springs compressed.to remove the shocks.
Unfortunately someone will have to look at the suspension parts to determine if they are good or not.
One question. You stated the vibration was in the steering wheel and pedal. What about seat of the pants? One thing these earlier models, especially 04 and 05 had a problem with was the e-brakes. They would rub, heat everything up and cause one heck of a vibration. If yours was seat of the pants and only after driving a while I would suspect that. Otherwise more likely something in the front. Also have the u-joints checked. They could cause vibration also.

As you have already found out, vibrations can be a bear to find.
First, thanks for your time here! I learned just about everything I know about my truck on this forum so please excuse my ignorance!

From what I can tell I feel it in my steering wheel, pedals and floor board. Don't recall feeling it in the seat any. Also, it's not after warming up. I'm on a 2 lane hwy about 2 min after leaving my house and it's vibrating there.

What's throwing me off is this started exaclty when I went from 285/17 tires to 305/17 tires. So I keep thinking what could have happened when moving up to a an inch wider and an inch taller? Is there some kind of joint or axle that would have adjusted from the raise in tire size it's is not lined up correctly now?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Cuz
First, thanks for your time here! I learned just about everything I know about my truck on this forum so please excuse my ignorance!

From what I can tell I feel it in my steering wheel, pedals and floor board. Don't recall feeling it in the seat any. Also, it's not after warming up. I'm on a 2 lane hwy about 2 min after leaving my house and it's vibrating there.

What's throwing me off is this started exaclty when I went from 285/17 tires to 305/17 tires. So I keep thinking what could have happened when moving up to a an inch wider and an inch taller? Is there some kind of joint or axle that would have adjusted from the raise in tire size it's is not lined up correctly now?
Unlikely, but wider, heavier tires will put more stress on the front suspension. Things may show up after that.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Cuz
Well, just got the road force balance and they say the tires are great and they were a little off balance. Paid the $50 and about half a mile from the dealership I feel it's still vibrating! Aaargh & uuugh!
I dunno what tha F to do...
Wow, bummer. I would have bet on a balanced wheel / tire with a high road force number. On the bright side, you've now eliminated one of the easiest variables from the equation.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Cuz
Took truck to discount tire and had them move the front tires to back and back to front. Still vibrating... So I drove it straight to the dealership. I'm now waiting while the dealership mech is trying to find the issue.

Last edited by Cuz; 03-02-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Bigger tires create vibration??