2004 - 2008 F-150

iPod Touch in 2004 Screw at 170K - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Touch in 2004 Screw at 170K - what to do?

For my birthday recently, I received an iPod Touch from my wife and son fully loaded with a long list of songs I've been compiling for years. I'm looking forward to this music access, since my current listening is pretty much XM and a few CD's laying around. My truck has the fantastic OE Audiophile in it, to which I coupled XM with the P.I.E. module. I also use a really nice Parrot MKi9100 to give me hands free on the phone. Everything's been great until the iPod, that will seemingly force me into the 21st Century.....

Though I'm not sure exactly how much longer I'll keep this rig, at almost 170K it obviously won't be around forever if that has anything to do with my decision. Way back when I tried to use a replacement Pioneer HU to get XM into the truck, it didn't jive with the Audiophile, the sound sucked and I tore it out. I'm fairly picky about the quality and sound of music, so back to OE I went and later found the P.I.E. to get XM through the Aux button. I mention this because if my decision is to now install another aftermarket HU, I'll have to somehow be sure it keeps my tunes audio correct.

Keeping in mind that when listening to the iPod, I'll just put it on random and drive. At 47 years old, I'm not concerned about the "bling" of it all, just that it looks clean and works well (and simple). I've looked at a few options and I'd be happy to take feedback or recommendation on what I've seen as well as things I haven't considered.

Option #1: Connect the iPod through the Parrot MKi9100 via the cable in the glovebox, but how good is this connection for audio quality?.

Option #2: Connect the iPod with some other Bluetooth device, assume this connection would be the same quality as Parrot?

Option #3: Install single DIN HU for about $250 that's iPod ready, but will it jive with the Audiophile?

Option #4: Install a 7" touchscreen for $700 to $1500 and gain Nav, but will it jive with the Audiophile? For this money I doubt I'll recoup the cost on the future sale so I'd just remove it and sell it on Ebay? Whatever new truck I get will be fully loaded with OE Nav.....

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm just not into mobile electonics enough to know the best thing to do here. I thought about posting in the Audio Forums, but I'd rather hear from this generation F150 owners and their experience with these things in this truck.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the pioneer avh-p4300dvd. I have them in all my vehicles and absolutely LOVE them.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^x2. That's what I have and its freaking sweet

Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lifted5.4Lariat
Look into the pioneer avh-p4300dvd. I have them in all my vehicles and absolutely LOVE them.
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
^x2. That's what I have and its freaking sweet
OK I'll check that model out. Are either of you tied into the Audiophile or did you install a complete aftermarket system?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The best thing about the OEM headunit is that no one really wants to expend the effort to bust into my truck and steal it! If you like your OEM audiophile system (I like mine just fine), you can go with the iSimple gateway: http://isimplesolutions.com/

I like this product as it charges my iPhone and iPod as well as lets me control the device using the headunit. I got my on eBay and saved a bunch of money.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jimco
OK I'll check that model out. Are either of you tied into the Audiophile or did you install a complete aftermarket system?
Neither for me. I don't have Audiophile or an aftermarket system. Just the headunit with stock speakers

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Mine didn't come with the audiophile. I did however run my stock speakers for a bit before upgrading to alpine type r components. The new headunit really woke up the stock speakers I thought.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
^ I agree with that too. I'm going to need to replace my stockers soon, if I crank it up too much I can hear the paper getting ready to blow lol

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
The best thing about the OEM headunit is that no one really wants to expend the effort to bust into my truck and steal it! If you like your OEM audiophile system (I like mine just fine), you can go with the iSimple gateway: http://isimplesolutions.com/

I like this product as it charges my iPhone and iPod as well as lets me control the device using the headunit. I got my on eBay and saved a bunch of money.
Never knew this existed. Does it connect through the AUX button? I'm putting my XM through that with the P.I.E. device so if it does I'm not sure how it would work.....

I tried to look up the model for my truck and their website gives me this:

Ordering Options
We're sorry, but the Gateway doesn't work with this vehicle. Please try one of our Universal Solutions.
F-150 2004

Am I doing something wrong?

Cool wheels on your rig by the way.....

Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Yep, it connects via the Aux button. Here's the one I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISIMPLE-ISFD...item35b41e6dbf

It shows 2005+ so as not to confuse it with the '04 Heritage.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 AM

I'm using the isimple as well. press AUX 3 times it should go sat1, sat2, sat3 or it does on my 06. I bought mine from bestbuy thinking if I wasn't happy with it i'd return it. Well I'm still am using it.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM
If you don't care about controling the iPod through the head unit Do whai I did I also have the Audophile System & the PIE interface & I just put a Y & in the line @ the PIE input + a Jack for the iPod in the console & when I want to listen to My iPod I just turn off My XM unit,If i didn't already have the PIE unit I would check out the iSimple.

Last edited by Gordon M.; 01-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: iPod Touch in 2004 Screw at 170K - what to do?