2004 - 2008 F-150

Check Gauges Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Gauges Warning

Hey Guys,

Interesting problem today.. Got in the truck to go to work and everything worked fine as it should. When I go to leave work I noticed the radio was still on from the drive in.. thought it was odd but maybe the ignition got stuck or something. As I get in I notice that the Check Gauges light is flashing and the truck beeped when I opened the door as if there were keys in the ignition. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

The truck keeps saying Check gauges and like every 15-20 seconds it will beep and the radio will restart and turn itself back on. Also, if you look closely you can see all of my dash lights very dimly lit when it says check gauges (4x4, abs, wrench, check engine, etc.) . Should I get this taken in or has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thanks for the help, I really hope I can get this fixed asap as it makes me worried to drive it long distances to and from school.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Did you change the battery yet from your other thread?

Edit: Saw you did, maybe have a bad connection or bumped some other wiring when you did it?

Last edited by 04heritagef150; 11-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned that. I did end up changing the battery and serpentine belt. Just went out and checked the battery connections and cables and everything seems to be ok there. I did pull the negative cable in hopes to restart the computer after 10 minutes it still does the same thing as soon as you plug the cable back on.

The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner installed a roof visor. A couple days ago in the rain I noticed some slight leaking on the passenger side where the windshield meets the headliner. I pulled the headliner and did notice it was a little wet, so I caulked around where the screws barely poked through the roof. Some water did appear to run behind the pillar towards the dash but it definitely didn't look like enough to cause any damage, but could this be a possibility?

The owners manual says it could be one of three things. 1. Oil pressure is low 2. Fuel is low or near low and 3. Coolant temp is too high. None of these things fit where my truck is at right now. It ran fine on the way home from work, but I went out to run it for a few to see if the coolant temp or oil pressure would fluctuate and it did start to stutter and run a little rough for a few seconds then return back to normal.

I have a 25 mile commute each way to school tomorrow that I definitely don't feel comfortable taking the truck on until I figure this out. Would it be easiest to just take it to a shop?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04Fx4KM21
Hey Guys,

Interesting problem today.. Got in the truck to go to work and everything worked fine as it should. When I go to leave work I noticed the radio was still on from the drive in.. thought it was odd but maybe the ignition got stuck or something. As I get in I notice that the Check Gauges light is flashing and the truck beeped when I opened the door as if there were keys in the ignition. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

The truck keeps saying Check gauges and like every 15-20 seconds it will beep and the radio will restart and turn itself back on. Also, if you look closely you can see all of my dash lights very dimly lit when it says check gauges (4x4, abs, wrench, check engine, etc.) . Should I get this taken in or has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thanks for the help, I really hope I can get this fixed asap as it makes me worried to drive it long distances to and from school.
Electrical gremlins can truly be a nightmare. I had the gremlins about a year ago or more and fought the problem with the instrument cluster for several months. It manifested itself in MANY different ways, and I do mean MANY! I finally cured it without replacing the instrument cluster but others haven't been as lucky. The instrument cluster has a solid state circuit board on the full back of it and A TON of stuff is controlled through a very large square chip in that board. There has been a lot written about the problems with the I.C.'s. It may or may not be the problem, but worth considering. By the way, IF it is the I.C., for all the wierd things it does, it didn't seem to actually be unsafe, just VERY annoying, puzzling and frustrating. There is also an issue with a wire in the left rocker channel under the step plate that gets corroded and causes some of these same problems. Do a search on both issues. The Super Cab doesn't have the same wire junction, I believe it's only the Super Crew.

Last edited by code58; 11-28-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 AM
Same issue.

Just wondering if you fixed the issue? My truck is doing the exact same things and don’t know what it is.
Originally Posted by 04Fx4KM21
Hey Guys,

Quick Reply: Check Gauges Warning