2004 - 2008 F-150

07 Fx4 w/fluctuating a/c temps

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Fx4 w/fluctuating a/c temps

Hey guys,

Got a question, did some digging and can't really find an answer.

The wife's 07 Fx4 Screw (5.4) a/c just started acting up. The temperature coming out off the vents fluctuates from warm (humid) to poor excuse of cold air.. That's while the truck is sitting still @ idle. When I drive the truck under normal load (in town) it does the same thing, except it's even more prominent, with being able to tell when it's warm and cold air coming out of the vents. Granted I'm in Texas and it's ***** hot, this is like a major difference. Before I go take this thing to the dealership and get raped is there anything I can check? My truck is still under warranty is this something that is covered? The cheap recharge kit gauge (for low side) showed it was @ 40 psi or in the green as being serviced, but I know there is a high side as well, and who knows if those cheap recharge gauges are accurate anyway. The sticker on the core support gives me a oz reading for r134 servicing, but how to I differentiate that with the psi reading on the stupid gauge?

Can someone explain that to me? I've always been told that you just don't overtime loose freon unless there is a leak? Meantime I've got one pissed off mama, and two little girls sweating to justin beiber and I'm getting an earful. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's probably the blend door actuator motor. There is a TSB on it and it would be covered by warranty, if you're still covered. Do you have EATC or manual air? Both use the same electric motor. When the motor goes bad, it hunts for temperature and I had heated air coming out of my ducts in the middle of the summer. If you have EATC try setting the a/c control to 60 degrees and see if it's still blows warm air. Using the recirculate button in summer is a must too.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I have manual air, but I'm taking it into Ford on Tuesday. We'll see what happens.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I had this same problem. I reset the blend door by dong a diagnostic check on it. Fixed the issue.
You can give it a shot.

Cycle ignition from off to on.
Enter self test by pressing OFF and DEFROST at the same time and release then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds.
Display will show a flashing blower icon.
Then exit the self test by by pressing any button other than defrost button.

Now do not turn off the key for atleast 30 seconds, I would wait a minute.
This is when the actuator door recalibrates itself automatically.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry I guess thats not going to work with manual air

Quick Reply: 07 Fx4 w/fluctuating a/c temps