2004 - 2008 F-150

Best Way to Disable Airbags Temporarily?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Disable Airbags Temporarily?

I jump my F1 some times and am afraid that one of these times the airbags are going to go off on a hard landing. What's the best way to temporarily disable the Airbags so this won't happen?

Last edited by captainbell; 11-20-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM
If you're jumping your F150, then the airbags going off are the least of your worries. If you land hard enough to blow the airbags then there's going to be more expensive damage to fix. The system measures deceleration force during a crash, if the specific criteria are met, the bags are deployed. You would almost have to bury the nose in the ground for them to blow. If that happens then you definitely want them working.

You're better off not messing with them, just unplugging could make them pop.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
pull the fuses

Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Always think twice before you act.

Originally Posted by Tbird69
If you're jumping your F150, then the airbags going off are the least of your worries. If you land hard enough to blow the airbags then there's going to be more expensive damage to fix. The system measures deceleration force during a crash, if the specific criteria are met, the bags are deployed. You would almost have to bury the nose in the ground for them to blow. If that happens then you definitely want them working.

You're better off not messing with them, just unplugging could make them pop.

Did you know it is illegal to disable your airbags? In the event of an accident, if your insurance finds out that you knowingly disabled your airbags they will refuse to pay for any damages and/or injuries you may cause.

If some one dies and it is concluded that death was caused due to your negligence you would be in deep doodoo.

Sorry but I will not give you any advice on how to disable your airbag because I care.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
All comments duly noted...

Let me provide some background info. This would only be done when I'm out in the desert and find a nice jump I feel like hitting, hence the title. I've seen them go off on landings that didn't look bad enough to set them off and I want to make sure that doesn't happen to me as it's expensive to replace them.

This is a jump I hit for a local San Diego ford dealer commercial and I didn't have any problems with the air bags but i don't want to chance it next time.

Last edited by captainbell; 11-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Disable Airbags Temporarily?