2004 - 2008 F-150

Door Handle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Handle Issue

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been here. Just updated my "Garage" so check it out.
Anyway, here's my issue. On my '05 SuperCrew it appears as if the glue around the (black plastic) door handles is seeping out from around the edges. I didn't take any pictures to post (maybe tomorrow). I've seen it on at least one other truck like mine. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and how/what you did to fix it. I didn't want to break out a scraper and some Goo-Gone just yet. It looks pretty ugly.
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I can't figure what you are talking about. Are you talking about the pull handle or the bucket? I'm not aware of any glue.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
The handle has a sticky gasket around it.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 PM
you can really take it out if you really wanted to,i mean its a gasket but if any water gets in its goin straight to the bottom through the drip holes. The best way to remove it is taking the actuall handle out there pretty easy i work at a body shop and i ve worked on about 25 30 of these trucks and when we take take em out to paint the gasket gets all f'd up anyways so we remove it havnt ever had one come back hope this helps

Old 07-26-2022, 01:23 PM
I have the exact same issue

I have a 2005 Ford F150 supercrew and the blackish color glue is also leaking out around the door handles. It’s not a gasket it’s blackish brown glue. Truck has never been painted all original. Cant get the glue off. I’ve tried goo-gone And other stuff with no luck. Any tips on a cleaner that will take it off without removing my paint would be great.

I have a 2005 Ford F150 super crew and the blackish colored glue has seat down the door handles not a gasket glue say anybody know how to get the glue off I’ve tried goo gone all kinds other stuff to know effect

QUOTE=tardman91;4335787]Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been here. Just updated my "Garage" so check it out.
Anyway, here's my issue. On my '05 SuperCrew it appears as if the glue around the (black plastic) door handles is seeping out from around the edges. I didn't take any pictures to post (maybe tomorrow). I've seen it on at least one other truck like mine. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and how/what you did to fix it. I didn't want to break out a scraper and some Goo-Gone just yet. It looks pretty ugly.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 07-26-2022, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took all my handles off and scraped, then wiped down with lacquer thinner. I repainted with Krylon Fusion and reinstalled. That goo is a real PITA to get off. Fortunately lacquer thinner won't hurt the paint or plastic.

Quick Reply: Door Handle Issue