2004 - 2008 F-150

4.6 plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 plugs

Has anyone changed their plugs on a 4.6? i have an 05 with a little under 130k miles. runs like a champ. rough idle though. Stock plugs. should i swap them out? anyone done it?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah, it's not like the 5.4. You have normal plugs, not the multi-piece crap in the 5.4. You don't need to remove the fuel rails although it looks like it would make the job easier. You'll need a universal joint to get to the back plugs and a couple of extensions for the socket drive. You'll remove the COPs first which is held in place with a small bolt. It does not hold the COPs dead tight so don't try to make it do that when replacing the COPs. The plugs are buried in the heads. You'll need to have compressed air to get any trash out of the plug holes before removing them or the crap will end up in the engine and possibly do damage. You will NOT use any anti-seize on the threads or any where else on the plugs in a 4.6. You WILL use a generous amount of di-electric grease on the ceramic part of the plug to seal out moisture. Torque to 28 lbs. Personally, considering the miles, I'd replace the COPs while you have it apart. They can be had on Ebay for cheap and they are as good as OEM. Figure an even $100.00 will buy you a set. Since this is your first time, figure about 4 hours to get the job done. Beware, the aluminum is easily cross threaded so take your time. At your mileage, I can assure you the plugs are a mess. I changed mine at 85,000 and the gaps were huge- up to .020 over spec. Makes ya wonder how it ran and good too. Might consider the PCV system replacement if you haven't changed it out already. Fuel filter should have been changed already. Take a look at the serpentine belt while you have tools in yer hands. Any cracks and it should be replaced along with the idler bearings.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Only thingsi have done were fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, tranny flush, and a few other odds and ends at 100k. Could you post up a link tothe plugs and COPs i need. im being lazy. i appreciate it! any idea on what the spec on the plugs is?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I got a set of COPS here for our 00 F150 about 3-4 yrs ago, her dad has that truck now and they're still going strong.

My 05 just flipped 28K. Even with the low mileage I've considered pulling them to at least check the gaps, the truck has always had a shuddery idle. Cleaning the throttle body helped a bit, but it still does it now and again. Spending a few hours just to check the gaps just hasn't climbed up the priority list.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 AM
well my problem is i love working on my truck. i really want to conquer this but really have no idea on what to buy. while im at it i have to replace my front struts.

Quick Reply: 4.6 plugs